37.

Chapter 37.

THIS IS THE FINAL CHAPTER--- Are you ready?

--

My first homecoming dance was nothing short of a perfect night. It was the perfect cliche scene straight out of a movie. I was the underclassmen who got a date with the star quarterback It was a night filled with smiles, laughs, friends, and of course, lots of dancing.

After the dance Kelsey invited our small group of friends back to her place for a bonfire. It was just Kelsey, Austin, Madison, Luke and I since Tae, Zach, and Cassie had plans with the family.

I snuggled up closer to Luke, curling my fingers around his. Luke gently squeezed my shoulders with his arm that was wrapped lazily around me. A cheeky grin spread across my face. How did I get so lucky?

"Hm, I wonder why he isn't here yet," Kelsey pondered out loud, looking over her shoulder at the back door to her house; expecting someone to pop out at any moment.

I quirked an eyebrow at her suspiciously. Eyeing everyone else in the circle I noticed they all looked as genuinely confused as me.

Before I had a chance to ask her who she was referring to, even though I had a guess, she grinned behind me. "There you are."

"You aren't still mad at me, are you Faye?"

My head shot around so fast at the sound of Dylan's voice. I hadn't spoken to him since after the game yesterday night. After I learned who his sister was I felt embarrassed and awkward that I had been so dumb that the conversation ended abruptly with me awkwardly walking back to my house.

I felt the redness and heat rush into my cheeks and I shook my head harshly. "I was never mad at you Dylan, I just felt dumb that I never realized.":

Dylan smiled, taking a seat next to me. "You shouldn't feel dumb, we kept it from you on purpose. It's not like you just never picked up on anything."

But I really didn't. Anything that I had thought I had picked up turned out to be wrong.

"Why did you want to keep it from me?"

Kelsey let out a long, dramatic sigh. "I suppose now is as good as any time to just come clean."

I raised an eyebrow. Come clean about what exactly? Judging by the expression on Luke's face, as well as Austin and Madison, they were all just as confused as I was. "Come clean about what?"

"Okay," Kelsey started, inhaling sharply. "Please don't hate me after this, but remember that first day in study hall?"

The day when I first found out that Kelsey was Luke's cousin and that he was dating Madison? Yeah, I remembered.

"Yeah?"

"So you also remember how I much I hated Madison was with Luke?" Her cheeks flushed red as she remembered that Madison and Luke hadn't known about how conversation. Sheepishly, she turned to Madison, "No offense, we weren't friends at that point."

Madison laughed, assuring Kelsey that she wasn't mad.

"Just get to the point, Kels," I said, trying to keep her from sidetracking further.

"Right, well you know how when I saw you clearly had a crush on Luke that I suggested we use you to get Madison out of the way?"

I blushed, feeling all the heat rushing to my face. Luke glanced sideways at me, a grin on his lips as he took in what Kelsey was saying. I bit the inside of my cheek, trying my best to not come off as embarrassed as I felt.