26.

Chapter 26.

My dad was going to kill both me and Luke if he ever found out about the kiss that just happened. He had been okay with me going on group dates, but that wasn't the same as giving me the go-ahead to date. He would be pissed to know that his star player had just kissed me, and I had enjoyed it.

Luke smirked at me, his face showing no regret at all. Lowering his hand, he said, "Oh really? Are you sure about that?"

I laughed, nodding my head. "I'd say so."

I was totally lying to him. Dylan was a good kisser and all, but there was never any spark between us. Luke made me feel different. A good different. "But maybe you can persuade me?" I grinned.

"Can I?" He smiled, wrapping his arms around me, pulling me closer so our bodies were pressed up against each other.

My stomach flipped. Was this actually happening? My breath quickened as I anticipated what he was going to do next.

Luke's deep brown eyes remained on mine for a few seconds, as if asking permission to continue. His lips curved as he leaned in closer to my face.

I grew impatient. Leaning towards him, I pressed my lips firmly against his. Placing my hands on the back of his head, I pulled his face closer to my own. I relaxed into the kiss, letting him take over. His arms wrapped around my torso, supporting me.

Then I heard footsteps outside the door, causing me to jump away from him. I couldn't risk anyone, especially my dad, seeing this.

My reaction made Luke laugh and shake his head. He shifted in his seat, looking to the door to see if anyone was actually coming in. When no one did, he looked back at me, raising an eyebrow.

"Okay, so I may have lied," I admitted, playing with my bracelet. "You win."

Luke stood up, offering me his hand, a cocky yet strangely cute smile on his face. "Just remember Lilly, Dylan is nothing in comparison to me."

"A little cocky?" I asked, a smirk forming on my lips.

He shrugged. "It's not cocky if it's the truth."

I rolled my eyes, taking his hand and letting him pull me up off the couch. "You do realize that you just sounded incredibly cocky right there, right Mr. Carters?"

"You do realize it was meant to, don't you Ms. Faye?" Luke countered, winking. Even though he was being a complete douche, it worked for him and I couldn't help but find myself feeling attracted to him.

I bit my lip, a question coming to mind that had been bothering me. "Can I ask you something?'

"You just did," he teased. "You don't have to ask me if you can ask a question. Just ask."

I rubbed my arm slightly. "How do you know Dylan? You guys are more than just football rivals, aren't you?"

This question had been bothering me for a while. I'd tried getting the answer from each of them, but both Dylan and Luke had a way of getting around answering. Not this time. I needed an answer.

Luke looked down at me, a soft sigh leaving his perfect lips. "We..." he paused, probably trying to come up with something to appease me without telling me the truth.

I assumed I knew why this was such a sensitive subject for him, so I plunged ahead and helped him out. "Is it through Madison? Since you both used to date her?" I didn't like admitting to him that I knew Madison and Dylan had dated. What if it really was just a dumb rivalry? Maybe Luke had dated Madison because she was Dylan's ex.

I mentally cursed myself for bringing up Dylan. What had I been thinking? Luke had just kissed me, and I had to go and bring up the other guy he saw me kissing. How stupid could I be?

Luke chuckled lightly. "You are something else, Lilly."

I wondered if that meant I was right, and Madison was the link between them. Conveniently, he had avoided giving me a direct answer, again.

"Carters, what are you doing with my daughter?"

My eyes went wide. He was going to kill us.

Luke turned around to face my dad, calm and relaxed as if we hadn't just been kissing. My dad definitely wouldn't have approved of that, if he'd known about it. "We were just talking."

Dad raised his eyebrows. "About what, exactly?"

I shrugged. "I just asked him how he knew Dylan. It just seemed like they knew each other outside of football, and I was curious."

Dad watched Luke impassively. "You remember what I said that first night you met Lilly, right? She's too young for you. That hasn't changed." My dad narrowed his eyes as he looked at Luke. "I can't tell you not to be friends with her, but I won't let you be alone with her. I'm not an idiot. I know how easily things can...happen."

"Dad," I snapped, blushing furiously, moving myself directly next to Luke. I didn't want to get Luke in trouble, but I was tired of letting my dad have so much control over my life. "There's nothing going on between Luke and I. Please stop jumping to conclusions and trust me a little. What, you don't want me to have friends?"

Dad's gaze fell on my own. He didn't look like he believed me at all. Of course, it was obvious to pretty much everyone that I liked Luke, so maybe he had reason to. "Get to class. Both of you. Now."

Fighting the urge to roll my eyes, I walked past my dad and left. When was dad going to trust me to make my own decisions?

——
Comment

Vote

Fan

BYE Y'ALL!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS SO SO MUCH! THANK YOU FOR READING MY LAME STORY! You guys have brought my story from this small cliche book into a rather popular teen fiction cliche. Thanks so much for almost 200k reads and 5.3k votes! You guys are the best! I love you! BYEEE!!