28.

Chapter 28.

I knew Dad was still upset about our conversation earlier when cheer practice let out at 5:00 and the football players were still running sprints.

"Damn, they don't seem to be enjoying practice today," Cassie observed. Every player was breathing heavily and dripping in sweat.

Kelsey looked over at them and nodded in agreement. "Yeah, holy crap. What is up with Coach Simon today?"

I bit my lip. "Crap. That might be my fault," I admitted. "I told him about the wedding during his prep period. I wanted to have witnesses so he didn't freak out completely."

Cassie let out a long, low whistle. "He must be pretty upset. It doesn't look like practice is even close to being over." She looked at me, eyebrows raised. "Are you going to need a ride home?"

"I don't know yet," I said with a small laugh. "I'll go ask my dad quickly. Maybe he'll lighten up on them if I ask him to give me a ride home."

Kelsey shook her head slightly. "Wow, you're daring."

I laughed, rolling my eyes at her. "Oh shush." I grabbed my cheer bag off the ground and began walking over to the football field. Dad was standing off to the side holding a clipboard and yelling at his players.

Dad noticed me approaching and turned to face me. "You're done with practice already?"

"Already?" I laughed. "Dad, it's 5:00."

Dad scratched his head and looked down at his watch. "Oh, I guess it is." He turned back towards the field and shouted out to the players, "Alright boys, two more laps!"

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Two more laps? Isn't that a little harsh?"

"They have to stay in shape for the playoffs." Dad avoided my gaze, studying the clipboard in his hand. He might have wanted me to believe that he was just focused on his work, but I could tell he was still thinking about our conversation earlier.

I needed to distract him. "So I was thinking, it's been a while since we just hung out. Wanna order pizza and watch a movie tonight?"

Dad nodded absently. "Sounds great, honey."

I sighed. That wasn't quite the response I had been hoping for. I wished I could make the whole wedding thing easier on him.

"Is this about earlier?" I asked.

Dad looked at me, shaking his head. "We'll talk about that later. Right now, it's time for me to get back to practice, and you to get home." He sighed and looked to the football players running around the field. Luke and Zach were notably absent. "Did you need a ride?"

"Oh, well if you weren't going to give me a ride, then--"

"I can give her a ride if ya' want, Coach," Luke said cheerfully, coming up next to me and wrapping his arm lazily around my shoulder. "I promise, we won't even stop for ice cream."

Dad nodded slowly, looking from Luke to me, then back to Luke. "Very well, you can take her home. But remember what I said, Mr. Carters. You'd better respect my daughter if you don't want to end up benched."

"Yes sir," Luke replied confidently. "I promise I won't disobey you."

"Okay then," Dad said slowly. "You can go." He shot me a meaningful look, as if to remind me about what he'd said earlier about moving too fast and getting too serious.

Luke smirked at me, and I felt that irrational chemistry between us that I couldn't for the life of me understand. Luke turned and gestured for me to begin walking. As we walked up the hill, I was hyper aware of Luke's arm wrapped around me.