29.

Chapter 29.

FNL; Friday Night Lights. At school, football games are pretty much the highlight of the year. Unless you're an anti-social, stay in the back of the class kind of person, you'll go to at least one football game.

Out of all the football games, though, Homecoming was probably the biggest turnout in terms of spectators in the stands. But it wasn't just a game--there was also the pep rally, homecoming parade, and dance. Not to mention all of the fun games and after school activities planned for students to participate in the whole week.

Being a cheerleader, I was naturally part of the pep rally. The pep rally was really simple. All we had to do is cheer, and some of the seniors got to help out the senior boys on the football team for man poms. Cassie insisted that man poms was always the best part of the pep rally and that everyone in the school always enjoyed it.

"So Cassie, has Zach asked you to Homecoming yet?" Kelsey asked as we walked out of the locker room after cheer practice. Cassie, Kelsey, Tae, Nixi and I were going dress shopping for the homecoming dance, which was over a month away still. I was excited to be going dress shopping with someone other than my Dad, and doubly glad to be talking to all of my friends again.

"Nah," Cassie said, shaking her head. "I'm not sure if he's just not interested in going, or if he just assumed I'd go with him."

"Want me to put some pressure on him?" Tae asked, wiggling her eyebrows. "My brother can be an egghead sometimes."

Cassie shook her head, laughing slightly. "Not sure that's any better." Turning to us, she asked, "What about you guys? Do you have dates yet?"

Tae, of course, was going with Cade, and Kelsey was going with Austin.

Nixi smiled shyly. "I was thinking about asking Dylan," she admitted. "Or do you think that's too forward?"

I smiled. "No, I'm sure he'd like to come. He probably just didn't want to invite himself to our homecoming. Not sure the school will love you inviting the rival quarterback, but they'll just have to deal. I think you guys would make a sweet couple."

"What about you Lilly?" Cassie asked. "Has anyone asked you yet?"

I shook my head. "No one. I want to go with friends..." I said, then paused, realizing that everyone but me had a date. Zach would ask Cassie, I was sure of it. "Well, maybe I won't go. You'll all be with your dates, so--"

"You don't need a date!" Cassie exclaimed, holding back a smile. "You're going to that dance no matter what. And you never know, someone might ask you, even if you aren't expecting it."

I laughed sadly, and looked at Kelsey, who was nodding her head in agreement. Secretly, I knew who I wanted to go with: Luke. And I also knew that wouldn't happen. My dad had made it perfectly clear that we could hang out as a group, but not date. And this would definitely be a date.

Kelsey nudged my side. "You're a pretty, popular cheerleader. Someone will ask you for sure, and news flash hun, but you are saying yes."

"You can't make me say yes to someone," I said with a laugh. Even though I said she couldn't make me, I knew that she probably could. I was easily persuaded.

Cassie chuckled. "You know darn well that between us, we can make you say yes to someone and end up having the time of your life."

She was right. Chances are, I would have a great time with whoever I went to the dance with.

"And besides, you'll have all of us there," Tae added. "Date or no, we aren't just going to ditch you at your first ever homecoming."

I smiled, glad that I had great friends that always knew what to say to make me feel better.

___

"How about this one?" I asked, pulling a navy blue dress off the rack and showing it to my friends. They had already found their dresses, but I was still struggling to find something I liked.

Kelsey shook her head, looking at Cassie then back at me. "That's not the right color."

I rolled my eyes, placing the dress back on the rack. "Care to enlighten me? What color am I looking for, exactly?"

"Red," Kelsey said decisively. "You need a red dress."

I wrinkled my nose. "Red?" I asked. That wouldn't be my first choice. "But it's so...bold and in your face. And it's not like I have anyone that I'm trying to impress."

"Except maybe Luke?" Cassie questioned, a sly smirk on her face. She knew that I liked him, but she also knew that we couldn't go to the dance together, so I wasn't sure why she was pressing the issue.

"We're just friends," I said, blushing as I remembered the feeling of his lips on mine. I turned so they didn't see my face turning increasingly red.

Kelsey snicked. "Yeah, cause of Daddy's orders. If it weren't for him, you two would be all over each other...practically connected by the tongue. And when football season is over, you can make it official. Your dad won't be his coach anymore."

"Kelsey!" I squealed, laughing. "I cannot believe you just said that."

"Oh come on Lil, you know it's true," Nixi said, smirking, as she turned to the dresses and began going through them.

Did they really think I was that...that wasn't something I could see myself constantly doing. I had barely even kissed a guy, let alone french kissed one.

Nixi turned to me, holding a beautiful red dress. "How about this?"

"That's the one!" Tae squealed excitedly, and I was inclined to agree with her.

"I love it," I said with a smile, taking the dress from her hands. "It's the perfect dress for homecoming."

"So you're going to buy it?" Cassie asked.

I nodded. "Definitely."

Kelsey watched us with a smirk on her face. "I'm glad you love it. That's the perfect dress." She paused. "I'm sure Luke would agree too. Red is his favorite color."

"Of course it is," I mumbled under my breath, holding back a laugh. I walked right into that one.

VOTE

FAN

BYEEEEEEEEE!!! I LOVE YOUUU ALL SO SO MUCH!! THANKS FOR READING!