ii. the king

"It is hard to go to war against your enemies, but it is even harder to go to war against your friends. A true sign of strength is being able to do both."

}:{

The Assessment. It was the worst part of Erudessa's work. She hated spending her morning in the king's study instead of on in the gardens with Rowe. There was an emptiness left in her when she wasn't with him during these mornings. Being alone with King Eben made her feel uncomfortable. The way he studied her was like his prized stallion, like she was a trophy. But, of course, that was what she was to him. The other kingdoms feared King Eben because of her. She was the best assassin across the Five Realms and could kill all the other kings in an instant. No one knew how much she was broken though, and no one ever would.

As she walked into the study, she held her breath as she awaited the king to greet her. He sat behind his desk in a big, leather chair. A bear pelt had been thrown across the back. Many papers were scattered across his desk. A lot were land claims and requests from the outer villages. There were attacks on them recently. Erudessa had heard the news of how scared the citizens were. Everyone was afraid that their neighbor, Erador, was going to come and attack them. She knew better though. These actions were the work of King Eben himself. He wanted to be the face that showed kindness and relief to the lands. In a month, he would be stepping down from the throne as, in a month, Rowe would turn nineteen and take the throne.

Erudessa met the eyes of her king and curtsied. "Your Grace."

"Good morning, Assassin," King Eben smiled, motioning for her to raise. "We have a lot to talk about. As you are well aware, this last assignment wasn't just any normal assassination."

She sat down in the seat across from him and nodded. "It had to do with the scrolls, didn't it? What's so important about them? Why did the Elder specifically label them Nocturne Specto? I know it isn't my place to ask questions, but... I need to know, sir."

"And, you will, I promise. For now, all I would like you to know is that you did an excellent job, and though you did not get the scrolls, your work is still well appreciated. We will find the man who bought the scrolls, eventually," He said with a long sigh. "You may go now if you want. I have no further need to talk to you unless you'd like to talk about something. Like, Rowe perhaps?"

She smiled. "I think I know what you are implying."

"He is going to be king in a month and every king needs his queen," He said with an earnest smile. "I can think of no one better than you to be there for him."

"I just don't know if I could," She sighed. "I mean, it should be his decision."

"We talked this morning and he said he wants to marry you."

She gaped, fearful to blink as if it would cause her to miss something. "He said what?"

"Come on, we all knew this day would come. You and Miriel will begin planning the wedding as soon as possible if you want to go through with it." He looked down and went through the papers on his desk as if she had already agreed to go through with it.

"No."

He looked up with a confused expression to mask the anger in his eyes. "What do you mean 'no'?"

"I mean, I'm not going to marry Rowe. I can't marry Rowe," She said, standing up. "I'm not going to argue about it either. I might be your Assassin, but that means I am only bound to follow orders that end in me killing someone."

Erudessa stormed out of the room. Her hands were moist with sweat and she felt a strong desire to punch a wall. She wasn't going to marry Rowe now, how could she? They had already talked last night and she told him she didn't want to marry him now. Why had he gone against her wishes? She had no time to think about it because she saw Adan approached with his arms full of scrolls.