Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Liam couldn't quite believe he was riding into town. Hadn't he just made the same trip yesterday? Didn't he usually go weeks, sometimes even months, between trips to town?

The answer to those questions was yes. He was man enough to admit—to himself at least—that Emma had gotten under his skin and was the reason for his coming into town today.

He did at least attempt to convince himself that it was only worry for the woman that had him wanting to check on her and not anything more tender or meaningful....but he wasn't a very well-practiced liar.

Liam's thought of Emma were interrupted by loud shouts from the nearby mercantile. Turning his head, Liam saw three boys closing in on a woman. They were yelling and insulting her—threatening violence.

All of that would have been enough to send Liam to intervene—then Liam realized who the woman was and his temper flared to life.

Hopping off Honey and leading her by the reins, Liam stepped up behind a trembling Emma and put his hand on her shoulder. "Is there a problem here?" he demanded, forcing his voice to remain even and calm.

The last thing Emma needed just now was to have him yelling and showing proof of just how angry he was.

"Liam...?" Emma's soft voice whispered. Her shaking stopped and she leaned back into him. Her tiny body, barely more than five feet, would have fit perfectly against Liam's chest had he slid his arm around her.

Damn.

Liam's legs shook and his heart pounded.

Emma did things to him that no other woman had ever done before.... And he was sure she didn't even realize it.

"Mr. McIntyre?" Liam recognized the boy who'd been taunting and threatening Emma the loudest.

"William?" Liam's gaze narrowed at the boy. "Does your mama know you're in town bullying ladies?"

William's face paled. "Don't tell her Mr. McIntyre," he pleaded. "She'll whoop me good."

"She should," Lauren spat.

Liam smiled at the feisty dark-haired girl. His aunt certainly had her hands full with that one.

"Lauren, could you and Sally take Emma back to my Aunt's while I have a talk with the boys?"

Emma turned and those wide blue eyes stared up into his. She appeared frightened, confused and ashamed. Liam fought the urge to gather her tiny body up into his arms and protect her, shield her, from all the bad in the world.

"Can ya..." Emma swallowed hard. "I'd like it if ya could..."

Liam somehow knew what she wanted without having to hear her say it. "I'll be along shortly," he promised.

Liam watched the trio of ladies walk down the road before turning his attention back to the trio of boys. "Please, don't tell my mama, Mr. McIntyre... I didn't realize the mountain lady was special to you."

Liam grumbled. "What she is or isn't to me doesn't matter. What matters is how you treated ladies. A man doesn't bully someone weaker than he is. And he certainly doesn't attack a weakness when he sees it."

William kicked at the dirt while the other two boys stared at their feet. "Yessir..." all three mumbled.

Liam sighed. "A man helps when he can, leads by example and is someone others can count on. If he doesn't have something important, helpful or meaningful to say, then he keeps his mouth shut."