Chapter 18

The Bayou
"Shouldn't you be out there playing Fight Club with the rest of the frat boys?" Hayley approaches Jackson as they both watch Oliver and another wolf sparring and wrestling outside.

"Nah. That's just for pecking order." He smiles over at Hayley. "They already know who's the Alpha."

"Ohh!" The werewolf that was fighting Oliver was flipped over and landed hard on his back. Oliver stands up straight looking at the other werewolves. "Next up!"

Jackson and Hayley decided to go back inside, where the rest of the Crescent wolves, and Mireya, are setting the table for dinner.

"You gotta try Tucker's ribs." Jackson tells her.

Hayley glances at Jackson with a teasing smile. "Then, what? Then we're gonna go play horseshoes?"

Jackson laughs. "Hey! Don't mock country living, darlin'."

"Sorry. This is just a lot more family fun than I'm used to." Hayley says as she takes a fleeting glance at Mireya and Alec.

Jackson noticed the glance. "Well, maybe I can help you get used to it."

That's when Oliver decided to join them. "Then all we got to do is just forget that she spent half her life with humans, and the other half with vampires. And got her little friend involved, too."

"Ollie, back off," Jackson ordered.

"It's okay," Hayley assured Jackson. "If the runt of the litter has got something to say, he should say it. But, I should warn you about someone when you talk about my friend.

"Who would that be?"

Hayley gives him an amused smirk, looking at something over his shoulder. She indicates Oliver to look behind him. "Him."

Oliver turned around to face this 'him' and came almost chest to chest with a vampire. He flinched back slightly but still held his ground.

"Kerron this is Oliver the runt," Hayley introduced. "Oliver, this is Kerron... Mireya's bodyguard."

Both Hayley and Jackson watched in amusement as Oliver tried to size-up Kerron, but failing.

Kerron mentally rolled his eyes, glancing at Hayley before walking away

Kerron mentally rolled his eyes, glancing at Hayley before walking away. The werewolves watch him walk back to whatever he was doing earlier.

Oliver lets out a weak chuckle, getting the other to werewolves turn their attention back to him. "You know, word from the Quarter is your boy Elijah's holding some kind of power summit. Guess who wasn't invited?"

"Where did you hear this?" Hayley asked, clearly upset about the news.

"It doesn't matter," Oliver brushed off Hayley's question. "The point is is that we're stuck here living in the swamp, while your vampire boyfriend's deciding who gets what in the city. But, I guess that shows how much respect he's got for the werewolves, huh?"