Portrait

Oct. 28

Dear Alex,

You were really blunt today. You came into the diner just after the lunch hour rush and you walked right up to me and asked, "when do you get off work?"

I blinked at you, then looked away.

"I want to talk to you, Carrie. When can I talk to you?"

After a few moments of silence I said, "half an hour."

So you sat at one of the booths sipping a coffee and fidgeting with the lid of the sugar dispenser. When my shift ended I hung up my apron and stood at the head of your table. You looked up at me and smiled. "Let's walk."

You brought me down to the river and we took off our shoes even though the air was cold, and we combed the shore with our bare feet. You tried to take my hand, but I pulled away.

"What do you want to talk to me about?" I asked, coldly.

"I want you to know I'm sorry for leaving you."

"Okay."

You looked at me and your eyes were sad. "I wouldn't forgive me, either."

I stopped and we were facing each other, a couple feet apart. I took a tiny step closer and you did, too.

"I have something for you," you said.

You reached into your pocket and pulled out a paper. You unfolded it and handed it to me- it was a sketch. A sketch of a girl that looks exactly like the laughing girl in your other sketch, except darker and achy. You drew me as a profile this time- and you drew me sad.

"Who's hurting you?" you asked, quietly.

But by that time I was fighting so hard against the tears biting at the back of my eyes that I couldn't answer you.

Love,

Carrie

The picture on the side is a sketch I did of Carrie. Obviously Alex's version would have been better, but we'll just have to stick with it ;)