Run Away With Me

Nov. 3

Dear Alex,

You came into the diner today and when you looked at me, your jaw muscle tightened. You walked up to me, leaned over the counter and said, "I have to talk to you."

"Alex, I'm working-"

"No. I have to talk to you now. The diner is practically empty."

I glanced around and Diana was watching us, amused. She nodded to me and I said, "Fine. Let's go out back." You nodded and left through the front door. I dropped my rag in the grey water loitering in the sink and met you out by the dumpster. A chill brushed against my skin and I wrapped my arms around myself.

"What is it, Alex?"

"Who hurt you?" you demanded.

I bit my lip and looked at the ground. An earwig was scurrying across the dirt and I squashed it with the toe of my shoe. You put your hands on both of my shoulders.

"Carrie," you said. "Carrie, talk to me. Did Sean do this to you?" You gingerly brushed your hand against a bruise on the side of my face and I winced. "Do you love him?" you asked, pain ripping at your voice.

I sucked in a sharp breath. "Alex," I said, and cleared my throat because my voice sounded strangled. "Alex," I tried again, harder this time.

You looked down. "I'm sorry, Carrie. I'm sorry." I was surprised to hear tears sticking to the edge of your voice. "This is all my fault," you said. "All my fault. I'm sorry."

I pulled you into a hug and you bent down, crying on my shoulder. It was kind of awkward- a tall boy sobbing on a small girl, but it was warm and safe and the feeling of you was perfect.

After a few moments, you turned your head so that your lips were close to my ear. "Do you still want to run away with me?" you breathed. Your words were hot and a chill ran down my spine and up my arms, igniting the fiery S carved into my wrist.

"Yes," I heard myself saying.

And then you just held me until I had to peel away to finish my shift.

Take me back, Alex. Let's escape this hell together.

Love,

Carrie