Advice From the Younger and Wiser

Nov. 5

Dear Alex,

I didn't bother going to work today. I figured after skipping it yesterday without even calling to let Diana know was pretty much the end of my employment. So I went to see Lydia. I entertained Tommy for a bit while she got some work done around the house, then she put Tommy for a nap while I made Tuna sandwiches on toasted bread, and tea. When she came into the kitchen she flopped onto a chair and put her head down on the table. I set a plate down in front of her.

"Thanks, honey," she said.

"It's basically all I know how to make."

"It's going to be delicious, nonetheless." She kept her forehead on the table, her arms over her head.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Tired. Always tired. Don't have kids." She sighed. "I love Tommy with all my heart, but... I'm too young to be this old."

"Yes."

"You, too, love. You're too young to be grown up."

"Alex came back."

"I know." She lifted her head and picked up her mug of tea, holding it in both her hands.

"We're going to run away together."

"Are you?"

"No."

She sighed and sipped her tea.

"Well," I said, "I told him I would. I want to. But I can't."

"Why not?"

"Sean."

"Sean," she repeated. "Sean, Sean, Sean."

"I love him."

"Who?" she asked. "Alex or Sean?"

"I don't know."

She set her mug down, took a bite of her sandwich, and put her head back down on the table. "Get your shit together, girl. Find a man who will love you, no matter what. You don't deserve anything less."

It was silent for a few moments. Then I said, "Lydia?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"Right back at ya, kiddo."

Love,

Carrie