Burns

Nov. 16

Dear Alex,

We had a little campfire behind the car and we cooked canned beans over the flames. It was very rustic and vintage- I was curled up next to you, we were wrapped together in a cotton cocoon, and the fire was flickering off out faces. It was beautiful. Then you were holding my hand and your thumb brushed the S shaped scar on my wrist. I tried to pull away, but before I had the chance, you were yanking up my sleeve and examining it.

"Carrie," you breathed. "Did he do this to you?"

"Let go of me."

"I knew he was hurting you! I'll kill him. I'll bloody kill him."

"Alex, please." I yanked my arm away and stood up. I went to the front seat of the car and rummaged through your glove box, locating your Swiss army knife. I flipped open the biggest blade and knelt next to the fire, my knees crunching against the pebbles.

"What are you doing?" you asked me.

I ignored you. When the blade was nice and hot, I looked up and you were staring at me. I met your eyes, gleaming black in the dark, and said, "I do not belong to him."

"Carrie..."

"Take the knife."

"Ca-"

"Take it!"

Reluctantly, you crawled over to me and took the handle of the knife, still holding it over the flames.

"Okay," I said, swallowing, my muscles shaking. "Get rid of it." I pulled up my sleeve and held my wrist out to you.

"Carrie, I can't hurt you."

"You won't be hurting me. You'll be saving me."

"Carrie..."

"Do it, already!" I could feel my heart giving way to the temptation of letting Sean's initial stain my flesh forever. No. I couldn't have that. I met your eyes so you would know I was serious.

You pursed your lips and blew out a gust of breath. Slowly, you took the knife from the fire and held my tiny wrist in your free hand. Shakily, you brought the two together and I choked on a scream as the hot metal seared my skin.

A millisecond later, I was clutching my arm, biting my lip, and you were running to get your first aid-kit. I willed myself not to cry. I knew it would kill you.

You started dabbing ointment on the burn and you wrapped my wrist in a bandage. Then you pulled me into your arms and you were crying, your tears dripping on my neck.

"Never again," you told me. "Never again."

Never again, Alex. I promise.

Love,

Carrie