His Story

As I looked at myself in my long body mirror I straightened out my tank top. I was wearing boot cut jeans, and a loose light gray tee. I also had a golden square belt buckle on, it was my own barrel racing buckle. My hair was pulled back into a low bun, and I made it look a little messy.

Today is Sunday, so you know what that means, church! I loved going to church, and our church, St. Mary's. It wasn't small but not your average size of a church. Our priest was very kind and very wise, our family was close to him. 

Sunday was also a very busy day at the diner, especially after church. Sundays were also by binge watching day, I only watched my TV shows and movies on Sunday. 

We always traveled in one truck when we went to church. Even Ashley came with us, she already basically in the family. So it was Ashley in the middle, and Caleb and I beside her. "So who sings now?" I ask my parents as we pull up to the white church. 

"Avery.." My mother says and my neck snaps towards her. Well, good for her.

We walked into the church together and we walked to our usual spot. It was in the fourth row in the front and we took up the whole pew, except for a couple of spaces, but no one sat there anyways. We said hi to a few people we knew as we walked to the pew. I was a little shocked when I saw Cooper on the other side in the third pew up. 

He didn't see me, but he was facing forward. He was standing beside a woman with blonde hair and she stood at his biceps, must be his mom. But I was confused when I saw a smaller figure standing besides his mom. "Stop staring." Ashley smirks beside me and pokes me with her finger. I didn't say anything but just start to wait for mass to start. 

*************

We waited our turn to exit the pew, and when we did I genuflected, and then rose. I was in front of everyone as we walked through the door and greeted Father Robert. Like an cliche church, everyone was talking out front. "Oh Dakota! If I would of saw you earlier, I would of asked you!" Mrs. Ingleheart said to me.

"Asked me what?" I say, not picking up on what she was trying to say.

"To sing again! You and Avery would make a great pair!" She said and I put my best fake smile on, because the thought of us singing together made me puke inside.

"Oh, what a shame." I force out of my mouth, still having the fake smile on my face, trying to be polite. 

"Next Sunday for sure!" She said and winked at me and walked away to go to her husband. My mother wrapped an arm my shoulder and side-hugged me. As we were walking down the steps my eyes landed on a certain pair of brown eyes. I sent him a polite smile and he returned it and then I looked away. 

My dad pulled into a parking spot at the Diner, and we all piled out. I pulled the door open, it revealed every seat in the spot in the Diner full. I looked around and it was mostly people coming from church, I sighed and left my family to go help out. 

**************

I rang the kitchen bell and yelled, "Martin!" I yelled to the the head chef to let him know another ticket was on the spiny deal. I walked back out around to the dining area and walked to my tables to see how they were doing, I was a great waitress. "Thanks for coming today, y'all have a great day." I say to a family as I return their change and receipt. 

"Thanks DaKota." The mother sweetly smiled and I smiled back and walked away. I noticed a new couple of customers at the counter, my area. I quickly walked to the other side of the counter and grabbed two menus and walked over to the customers. Most people would feel overwhelmed by the amount of customers, but it made me happy because I'm glad people chose to come here.