I Already Knew

I watched as people stood up and started to exit their pew, as I continued to sing the closing song. I was singing with some older ladies, they were around my mom's age, so I knew them pretty well. But who didn't I know in this town. I couldn't help but look around one last time, looking for a certain brown-eyed cowboy, but he wasn't here, just his mom in the back. I was sad that Cooper wasn't at church, he used to come, but he didn't today.

I felt bad for his mom sometime, sometimes the other moms would talk harshly about her and her so called "husband". Saying that it was a disgrace that she could marry such a man, who was supposedly the devil. This is before I knew about Cooper's family, or I would of said something to them about it. Because Desiree is a very lovely woman, and one of the nicest people I know in this town. 

After the song ended, we closed our books, thanked the lovely pianist and guitar players for doing a good job today, and then we stepped off the little stage near the altar. I said goodbyes to to women in the small choir and then I joined my family who was waiting for me. "Hey." I said as I stood next to Ashley. 

"Nice job, and by the way, I love your dress." Ashley said and playfully tugged at my dress, making me smile as I looked down at my dress. 

"Thanks."

I don't mean to sound conceited but I thought I looked pretty cute today

I don't mean to sound conceited but I thought I looked pretty cute today. Going along with my dress, my hair was straightened with a waterfall braid in on one side, my hair reached down to my tail-bone, and then I was wearing a pair of Holy Cow Couture cream-colored moccasins. Always have to look good when you go to church.

Standing outside with my mom, I look at other groups of people conversing with each other, not really caring what the current group is talking about. I look up at the beaming sun, as it already feels too hot, it's only 11 o'clock! "I bet she hasn't seen her husband in years, if you even call him that." Suddenly this sentence gets through to my brain and I'm able to process what Mrs. Hewitt said to the other girls. Then I look where she is looking, and I see Desiree talking to Father Matthew. 

"I've warned Father about her and her family, I wonder if he's tellin' her to go to confession." She snickers and then some follow her, laughing along. I look back at them, then to my mom, who just stands there quietly, then I look back at them. What Catholic's they are, judging someone without know the whole picture. 

"What's so bad about her family?" I question Mrs. Hewitt and the others, my tone is innocent and unharmful. 

"Haven't you heard about her husband? Her-"

"But why does marrying her husband make her a bad person? Maybe there's something more to that, maybe she's trying to get out of it, maybe you guys shouldn't be so quick to judge." I cut her off, earning a glare from my mother, but I don't mind her. 

Mrs. Hewitt is baffled at my words, and her moth opens, hoping words will come out, but they don't. "Well her son is a prime example of her actions, gettin' in all of those fights." Oh, she did not.