Chapter no.23

"Wh-" she began and then she screamed. Her face scrunched up in terror.
"Fuck!" Cameron cursed under his breath.

"Get in....." he shouted at her but she stood rooted to the spot looking in horror as his shirt slowly started to soak in blood at his shoulder.
"Corinne get in the car...." he said. She shook her head. Her heart dropping into her stomach.

Someone in the shadows fired the gun again and Cameron pulled Corinne out of the way barely missing the bullet himself.

"GET IN NOW....." she shook her head again to clear her thoughts and scrambled into the car closing the door.

Another gunshot.

Cameron shoved himself inside slamming the door shut.
"You're bleeding....." Corinne whispered.
"I'll be fine." He muttered. He bit his lip hoping that it would ease the pain.

He put the car into ignition and the engine roared to life. He sped towards the highway. The sound of the gunshots fading in the background.

"Here put this on speaker." He handed her his phone where a number was being dialed. His voice serious and his face giving away nothing.

"Sir."
"Ari we've been attacked. Someone shot me......I'm fine.....just check if you can find him. Report to me......We're headed for the mansion."
"Yes sir."

He hung the call.
Corinne sat in a panic-striken
state. Cameron sped up. Looking at her once in a while. It wasn't safe for her anymore.
Horror was clawing at his insides.

What if it had been Corinne instead of him? He couldn't dare imagine if anything would've happened to her.

A very large British style mansion came into view as he drove further. The guards at the wrought iron gates opened the doors to lead the car in. Corinne cane out of the car first rushing to his side afraid to put any distance between them.

They made their way inside.
Corinne looked around. Cameron observed her carefully. She hadn't spoken since after the attack.

A maid came in view.
"Get the doctor please." Corinne said. Her voice trembling.
The maid nodded.
They sat down on the couch.

"I'm fine." Cameron assured her.
"Don't say that because you're not okay." Corinne snapped trying to hold back the tears.
It was all her fault and she knew it.

********

"Not so deep. I've taken out the bullet. Take some rest Cameron." The doctor made his way out of the door.

Just then Meryl came rushing into the living room.
"Cameron! Oh my......." she had tears in her eyes.
"Hey!" She ran into his arms crying.
"I'm fine okay? Don't cry." He said smiling at his sister.
"And besides......you wouldn't get rid of me that easily." He teased and she frowned at him.

Corinne sat next to him not knowing who she was. She kept quiet.
Meryl looked at her in question.
"Corinne Braylon right?"

Corinne nodded.
"Oh my goodness.......you got a girlfriend Cameron." Meryl said teasingly.
Cameron shook his head.
"Not again Meryl."

Meryl gave a grin to a devastated looking Corinne.
"Corinne meet my twin Meryl." At this Corinne looked up at the siblings wide-eyed.
"Twin?" She asked astonished.

Meryl had a smug smile on her face.
"Yes.....twin." Cameron sighed.
"I know why you're surprised. Not many people know that I exist." Meryl said with a wistful look on her face.

After a while, Corinne nodded.
"H-he saved me. And he got shot because of me. I'm so sorry Meryl."

Meryl shook her head smiling.
"Please don't say that. It would've been a shame if he didn't save such a beautiful lady."