13

As per the plan, I was supposed to go with each group of gang members that were sent out on patrol around Tristan's territory. It took me about two weeks to go through all of the groups with several outings a day. As I hadn't been sure who exactly it was, I actually went through the listings twice before I finally thought I had it figured out. One of the guys was a little off. He kept giving me a strange look whenever we went out on patrol. I wasn't sure why he watched me as if he knew me, but that was just it. The feeling that he had recognized me from somewhere else other than in Fukkatsu was what tipped me off.

Granted, I had never seen the entire gang from Titan, but I did see a few faces. His wasn't all that memorable so to speak, but it was just enough to be slightly familiar. As we went out on patrols together, I started dropping a couple of hints that I was with Alik even though I wasn't. He picked up on those hints. The man's name was Dane and he was actually one of the six that were Tristan's top right hand men. As predicted, the one that was leaking information had gotten pretty far up on the totem pole so to speak.

As we returned from another patrol after getting into a gunfight with Titan, I opened the door to the black SUV and sighed heavily as I stretched out my limbs. I wasn't sure how we had gotten out of that one unscathed but we had. At the same time, though, I figured that the reason none of the group had died was because Dane was there. The fight had been a front, a show to keep Fukkatsu guessing at who the mole was.

Dane came around the car though as the others went back into the house and took my shoulder in his hands. I fought to keep from shuddering at his touch. When I figured it out, realized that he was with Titan, the thought sickened me so much that I had almost blown my own cover and shot the bastard. I took a breath. I was really on a tight string lately. It had to have been all of the fights going on during the past few weeks or so.

"Valkyrie. I thought I recognized you. Alik's lover."

I cringed inwardly but forced a small smile. We were alone in the driveway of the manor with no one around to hear us, "Yes."

"I wasn't sure if you were still with Titan or not. The act you put up a while ago... Pretty damned good, you just about had me fooled."

I shrugged a bit, "Have to do what you have to do, I suppose. Begging and pleading never was my thing really, but whatever."

Dane smiled at me as he patted my shoulder. He laughed a bit and turned away slightly before he suddenly turned on me. The sharp crackle of a tazer filled the air and I felt my body convulse from the sudden attack. It spread from my stomach, a sharp cry escaping my lips. Slowly, I sank to my knees trembling from the attack as I stared up at Dane in shock. Sputtering slightly I finally crumpled to the gravel in a heap, twitching slightly from the electrical current running through my body.

Dane knelt down next to me, "You're one horrible actor, Valkyrie. I thought you were with Titan, but I wasn't entirely sure. So I had to check. But now that you know, I'm going to have to get rid of you. Can't have your blabber mouth going off to Tristan, now can I?"

"Fuck... you," I muttered, flinching from the attack.

"Sure, why not," he answered and threw me over onto my back. The tazer crackled again and it burned as it connected with my stomach. I cried out in pain, my body shaking violently from it before he pulled it away from me again. I think he was trying to knock me out, but I was fighting to keep conscious. Panting heavily, I shuddered in the dirt, every muscle convulsing uncontrollably. I fought to reach for my gun, to get my motor skills back under control.

Although I was sure that someone had heard me scream, I wasn't positive on it. My fingers curled around the handle of the weapon and I drew it in one motion. I pointed it up at Dane and pulled the trigger. The loud shot rang out across the yard and Dane fell back, howling in pain as he clutched his arm. My chest heaved as my arm fell against my body, unable to move anymore. Now that is sure to get someone's attention...