20. Hold on, love.

When we make our way back to the safe house it's 11pm and it turns out Kaden was right. i go straight for the bed because my muscles could use a rest so i just tump onto it and get rid of my clothes once i'm there. Kaden's already disposed of the weapon and all trailing evidence. He sent dean the account numbers too. He gets rid of his jeans and black hoodie and gets in next to me on the bed. I already miss touching him. 

i highly doubt we're the most qualified people in the world when it comes to honest human interactions so i decide to roll over to face him. His eyes are closing slowly and i snuggle against him. His hand moves under my head but I move down knowing that sleeping on someone's arm is uncomfortable and make you want to kill someone to make the numbness stop. 

"i don't really hate you anymore" he whispers looking at me casually. 

"Wow Kaden Ryan, you're sharing your feelings. This is progress if you ask me. i don't hate you either. i mean just a little but i'll get over it" his hand comes in my hair again, playing with it absentmindedly. 

"oh i'm sorry, i'm trynna be sincere here for once?" with his words it seemed like the night was too light to even remember, and it's been like that for the last week. "it sounded like you were making fun of it?"

"No, no. absolutely not" i chuckle against his chest. 

"Ok so i was thinking..." he starts off with an excited tone. 

"oh please! not again... we talked about this, the last time you 'thought' i had to take off Louboutini heels and risk being electrocuted"

"you should have honestly stayed on that rooftop. i would be on the ground watching as Elizabeth arrested you"

"Ugh please i'd rather be pecked to death by a flock of hummingbirds" I say in disgust and my words are interrupted by his phone ringing. 

"yes? Natasha?" he asks sounding concerned. Natasha, i remember, is Alicia's mother and chloe's grandmother in Brooklyn. "yeah it does. Why?...... WHAT?" he runs his hand over his face and sits up quickly, i watch as his face takes 20 different colors. "are they that fucking stupid? i swear to god i feel like i'm dealing with children!" then he stands up. "NATASHA!.... where the fuck did you get a gun from? you're gonna be 100 in like a week!" ok, that is not true. "ok"  he relaxes. "go to Connecticut, my mother will gladly welcome someone else in. and don't tell anyone where you're going" he hangs up suddenly. "i swear to fucking god i will strangle him. a bullet won't do it no. strangulation. tight. blue. asphyxiation." he hurries to the rack of clothes and slips into his jeans. 

"Kaden? what the-"

"it's Michael shitface Squanov! you know, the hitman that almost killed you back in Long island at the warehouse. he's Jose's hitman. he's here now, i'm sure as shit that crappy shot back at the hotel was his" he's frantic as he loads bullets and takes a rifle off his armory. "and like he can't fucking do a job right, he sent some other broke ass junkie after Chloe. but he went to brooklyn and NATASHA... YES, NATASHA shot him in the balls. now she has a bleeding cocaine addict on her rug and guess who she's blaming" i bite my lip trying to contain the laughter. i nod every now and then but he sees me. "are you...  are you laughing? it's not funny. they almost got Chloe" he starts to scold me but gets interrupted by his own monologue. "i mean, how goddamn stupid do you really have to be? and trying to kill me? please. like i don't have better things to do than lining up perfectly waiting for your shot" 

Only when he finishes I realize he's actually done getting ready and out of the door. i scramble out of the bed and try to stop him. i yell after him but he's out the door and going down the 5 long flights of stairs. i run after him only wearing a shirt and panties. "Kaden! stop!" my eyes block out the singular steps and i decide to jump the steps in a way that i only have to step twice per flight, however my feet take a harsh fall. When i reach the flight he's on i hurry and jump on his back. "no! You're not going anywhere, you're not that stupid" i say breathlessly. He carries me all the way to the door that leads outside. I jump down and get in front of the door. "you're not going after anyone. Can you think about this for a second?! Killing this moron will only get you more trouble, they won't find out the money is gone until tomorrow but you're going in after their hit man and you think they won't notice one less asshole? you don't have a plan-"