Chapter Twelve

“The storms supposed to get worse,” my dad rambles during a quiet dinner. Well, quiet as in no one is talking. The sound of snow and wind hitting the farmhouse is a constant noise. I look out the window, and everything is dark. Snow is being blown at odd angles, creating a wall of horrible visibility. “It will be much too cold to sleep out in the loft tonight.”

Emery’s eyes snap to look at my dad, just like mine. He’s unfazed by our triangle of conflict, so he acts as if nothing’s wrong, which to him is exactly how he sees it.

“What are you saying?” I busy myself with cutting my food into small bites so he doesn’t get suspicious.

“I think Vince is going to have to sleep on the couch until this storm blows past.” I put down my fork and knife, suddenly feeling not hungry anymore. I glance over at Emery, and he doesn’t look like he wants to eat much either. Sure, Emery and Vince haven’t exactly talked to each other, however the conversations I had with them separately are enough to show me they aren’t too fond of each other.

“Not hungry?” My mother looks up from her plate with questioning eyes. I shake my head and she nods towards the stairs. “Why don’t you go get some blankets and a pillow for the couch?”

Shrugging, I pick up my plate and place it on the counter. I hear my mom question Emery’s lack of hunger next as I bound up the stairs. In the hall I open the small closet and pull out some blankets along with a pillow. Only a minute later, I’m placing them on the couch.

“River,” my mom calls from the kitchen. Of course she’s asking me to do more chores for not finishing what was on my plate. “Why don’t you do the dishes?”

Rolling my eyes, I head into the kitchen gaining Emery’s eyes. I start to clear off my plate as the sink fills with water and start on the dishes. I’ve barely started when Emery brings his plate and struggles to clean it off with his one good hand.

“Here,” I mutter, reaching for it. We haven’t talked since this morning when he found me in the snow, and so far we’ve been avoiding each other. It seems the exact same thing is happening with Vince, too.

“I’ve got it,” snaps Emery, moving the plate out of each. I lunge for it but he moves it away again.

“Just let me do it,” I quietly yell at him. I don’t want my parents to hear after the conversation we had last night. I reach for the glass again when Emery knocks a fork off the counter. It clangs on the tile when I hear my mother call again.

“Everything all right?” Emery and I instantly turn to her, both of us half bent over to reach for the fork.

“Everything’s fine,” we both call back, and then try and grab the fork.

“Got it,” Emery smirks, straightening up and putting it in the soapy sink along with his plate. I continue to do the dishes while Emery stands leaning against the counter, unable to help. “Can we just please get along?” He says quietly through teeth clenched in a smile. He’s trying to put on an ‘everything is perfectly normal’ show just like I am.

“We’ve never got along, Emery,” I mutter, putting all my focus into the dishes. “What makes things different now?”

Emery says something under his breath that I don’t pick up on, so I give him a look. “Vince staying in the house tonight,” he mumbles, however I know he said something rude that I couldn’t hear. I guess he’s right. The three of us not getting along will make a very eventful night. My house being small, the only places to hang out are my room or the living room for entertainment. I wonder who will be in which one.

“I guess you have a point,” I sigh, trying to come up with another solution and failing. I really shouldn’t be talking to Emery after all he’s put me through. But what else can I do when he sleeps on the floor at the end of my bed?