Chapter Twenty-Six

“River?” Emery shouts into the phone. “Are you okay? Where are you?” He’s more of yelling at me, his voice full of worried rather than asking me questions. “I love you so much!”

Vince and Keith both can hear Emery on the other end, so when I don’t reply, I get nudged with the gun again.

“I’m fine, Emery,” I tell him gently, trying to act calm. Vince smacks my cheek with the barrel of the gun. I ignore the sting and open my mouth to tell Emery I’m okay when Vince pulls the phone back. I claw for it with my free hand, trying not to let go. “It’s a trap, Emery!” I shriek, knowing he should be able to make out my desperate words. “Don’t come for me! I’ll be okay!”

Vince slaps me hard, and tears well up in my eyes. He rises to his feet, laughing into the phone.

“You want to save your girlfriend?” He mocks, as my hoarse voice screams over him.

“Don’t listen to him!”

“Well,” Vince laughs darkly. “You better hurry if you want her in one piece.” He gives Emery the address as I continue screaming until Keith walks over.

“Emery! I’m okay! Don’t listen to him!” I struggle to move my face away from Keith as he tries to put the cloth on my mouth again. I scream as loud as I can, hoping that maybe one of the windows will shatter and someone outside will notice what’s going on down here. However instead, Keith successfully silences me.

“If you don’t get here soon,” Vince says, turning to look down at me. His eyes are looking me over and I feel extremely uncomfortable. “She might not have any innocence left.” He flicks the cell phone closed and walks over to me like a tiger stalking its prey. Knowing, Keith heads upstairs without another word. Once the basement door sounds as its shut, I realize how bad of a situation I’m in.

“You better hope Emery hurries.” Vince smiles as he crouches down to my level again. “You’re just so pretty.” He reaches out and tries to push my hair behind my ear. However as soon as he touches me, I jerk my head away.

“Don’t touch me,” I spit, not turning my head back so I don’t have to look at him.

“Oh, don’t be like that,” he murmurs, his fingertips trailing my cheek. I try to move my head away again but there isn’t anywhere to move to get away from him. Clenching my teeth, I reach up and slap him as hard as I can.

“I said don’t touch me.”

“You know,” he laughs, unfazed by the contact of my hand hitting his face. “Resisting me only makes me want you more.”

“You know,” I mock, glaring at him. “When Emery gets here he is going to kick your ass.”

“Whatever you say,” Vince laughs, heading for the stairs. “Are you hungry? Thirsty?”

“Get me some water,” I snap, my throat hoarse from all the crying I’ve been doing. Vince heads up the stairs immediately while I try to figure a way to get out. With my free hand, I try to loosen my other wrist from the rope. In a short amount of time I realize I’m not going to have any luck so I move to my feet. By the time I hear the basement door squeak open, I’m standing up, frozen like a deer in headlights.

“What the hell!” Vince bounds down the steps and soon he’s chasing me as I start to run away, my left arm pinned to my side and a rope flopping behind me. We run in circles for about five minutes when Vince finally catches the rope, pulling me directly to a stop. I try to push myself away as he wraps his arm around my waist and starts pulling me towards where I sat before. On the way he picks up the excess rope, ready to tie me up again. “I’m going to make sure you can’t get away this time,” he mutters, pulling me over to a metal pole that goes from the floor to the ceiling. I hadn’t seen it before because it was on the other side of the stairs.