Chapter Fifteen

“What’s the address?” My dad writes down what Vince recites to him. Mary and I watch as my dad sticks it on the fridge and turns to the boys. “Vince and Emery, I expect you both to use common sense” Both the boys nod nervously and my dad smiles. “Be back by one.”

The boys nod again before shuffling out the back door without as much as a glance my way. My dad heads into the living room and my head drops to the table.

“What are we going to do?” I sigh, feeling extremely jealous that the boys went to a party and didn’t invite me.

“Well, just because the guys are going out and having fun doesn’t mean we can’t.” I lift my head slightly to see her grinning.

“And how exactly are we going to have fun?” I ask, leaning back in my chair. “It’s night, too late to go into town, and there’s nothing to do around here.”

“That’s where I’ve drawn a blank,” she mutters, rising from her chair. She grabs my hand and yanks me out of mine before she drags my upstairs. “However, I have an awesome idea.” I roll my eyes as I fall back onto my bed, lying with my feet sitting flat on the floor. Mary shuts the bedroom door and copies me, only laying the opposite way. “So tell me about your boy troubles.”

I exhale noisily and smack her arm, gaining myself a smack back. “What troubles?” I ask her. “It’s not like I’m dating Emery or Vince.” I move my head to see Mary’s face just as her eyes grow wide.

“You’re not?”

My eyes narrow. “No. I don’t want to pick one of them and deal with them constantly fighting with each other, so I decided that I choose neither.”

“You didn’t!”

“I did,” I nod, keeping my voice monotone unlike Mary’s shocked squeals.

“Why the heck would you do that?” She flips onto her stomach and smacks me across the top of my head. “Are you stupid?” I glare at her while I brush my hair out of my eyes.

“Gee, thanks Mary,” I mutter, copying her and turning onto my stomach so we can face each other.

“You know I’m not being serious,” she says, rolling her eyes. “I just mean why did you even think you had to decide between either of them? Who you pick is obvious!”

I raise my eyebrows. “It is?”

“Take a wild guess, River.”

“Vince?” Mary smacks the top of my head again, throwing my hair into my face for the second time. She begins to lecture me while I remove the strands out of the way of my eyes.

“No! It’s Emery!” She grabs a stray hair for me and puts it back in place. “How on earth did you think it was creepy Vince?”

“He’s not that creepy,” I mutter, not meeting her eyes. “And besides, Emery hurt me. You know that.” I ended up spilling everything to her once we were able to start hanging out again and ever since neither of us has brought up much about the topic.

“You have to give him some credit for being semi-bearable now.” I give her a look and she shrugs. “Look at it from his perspective.” She rises from her stomach and crosses her legs. Can she not just sit still? Once I’m sitting the same way in front of her she continues. “If you killed my dad, even though he was going to kill me, I’d probably be pissed too.”

I resist the urge to push her off the bed. “And you’re the daughter of a preacher?” I mutter, folding my arms across my chest.

“River,” Mary sighs, resting her hand on my shoulder. “I don’t mean to make you upset. Just try to see what Emery sees. If he killed your dad to save your life, would you be angry?” She looks at me with hopeful eyes and it takes me a minute to nod.