#33

"I know that look on your face that I have lost you.                                         New York City, please go easy on me tonight.                                                New York City, please go easy on this heart of mine,                               'Cause I'm losing my lover, to the arms of another.                                   New York City please go easy on me tonight" 
~New York City, The Chainsmokers

*****

"Oh my God" Nandini whispered when her eyes landed on the hole in the pillar right behind her, where a bullet was currently lodged.

She was frozen in her place, while everything around her blurred with chaos. People were screaming, crying, trying their best to get out of the place as soon as possible. 

"Nandini! We need to leave! NANDINI! NOW!" Aria screamed at Nandini pulling at her hand to get her to move. 

Nandini was shaken out of her shock. Her eyes snapped to Aria, widening. 

"Let's get the fuck out of here!" Nandini told Aria, pulling her out of the place, following everybody else out. 

~

Nandini stood outside the mall, sweating against the cold winter air. Her eyes were teary and wide open, her hands shaking. Aria was right beside her, trying her best to calm her down. 

"It's okay. You're okay. We're okay. Everything's gonna be okay" Aria whispered, taking Nandini in a hug, rubbing her back, comforting her. 

Nandini nodded, rubbing her hands together and running them down her face, trying to calm herself down. 

"Let's go home" Aria said, gently pulling Nandini as she called a cab. 

Nandini followed after Aria, trying to relax herself. 

Soon, they were settled in the backseat. Aria provided the driver with the address and then they were on their way home. 

Suddenly, Nandini's cell started vibrating. She scooped in out of her pocket. The name of the caller brought a smile on her shaken face, relaxing her instantly. 

Aria nudged at Nandini to pick it up instead of just staring at it. Nandini took a deep breath and was about to pick it up when the vibration stopped, making it a missed call. Nandini sighed and waited for him to call again, gripping her phone. 

She felt a shot vibration of her phone, indicating she had received a text. She noticed it was Manik. She immediately swiped her phone open to read the text message. 

Meet me on the north bridge. Central Park. 

It read. Nandini found something off but brushed it off. 

"Excuse me. Would you mind pulling over at the Central Park please?" Nandini asked the cab driver who nodded in response. 

"Central Park?" Aria questioned. Nandini just showed her the text. Aria nodded. 

Soon after successfully weaving through the Sunday evening traffic, the cab pulled over at the Central Park entrance. The park was buzzing with people, clad in coats and gloves. She got off with Aria who insisted on coming with her. They paid the cab and started walking, admiring the fairy lights that were hung on the lonely trees to brighten the paths of the walkers. It was extremely cold. Clouds of vapor formed whenever they exhaled, their noses and cheeks reddened from the cold air whipping against their skin. There was a 75% of snow that evening. The sky had started darkening and the skyscrapers of New York City  had lit up, that looked like millions of bright yellow dots shining from a distance. People were ice-skating, making snow men and having a great time with their families. Aria left Nandini saying she was going to buy herself some hot chocolate and enjoy her evening.