Chapter One : The Secret Admirer

Sriti Nanda

Sriti Nanda.

"Please be the Ken to my Barbie,
Please be the Sun to my Sunshine,
Please visit me in my dreams forever.

Yours lovingly
~ Secret Admirer."

"Seriously dude, I still can't believe I've got an admirer. Literally, whoever it is, she stalks me crazily and her letters and gifts make me smile like a maniac." Varun chirped happily while I just gave him a small smile. "Duffer, it's not stalking, it's admiring. Don't just take her feelings for granted!" I slowly said pulling his cheeks to which he just rested his head in my lap and I massaged his forehead.

"Whatever! Anyways I'm sleeping. You go sleep too." He muttered before walking out of my room. He stayed here for this night as Dad and Grandmom too wanted to meet each other regarding business stuff. I slowly got up from my bed and walked towards the balcony which was attached to my room. I could see the whole surrounding area and it was really a beautiful sight.

Cold winds blowing and caressing my skin, city lights enlighting the small details of the locality and the bright moon smiling at me. Everything seemed perfect but it wasn't really perfect. It just seemed so. My mind travelled to the most painful topic which brought tears in my black eyes. Only if I can tell you how much I love you. Only if I can tell you that your secret admirer is none other than me. Only if I can tell you how much I cried for you. Only if I can, Varun, only if I can.

I sighed sadly as my heart ached longingly for his love. I knew he loved Kaira deeply, madly and crazily. I knew he never even thought of me as his partner. I knew he hated those people who linked us both and spread rumours that we are more than just friends. I knew I can never get his love. Only if my fate was different. I have never had anything against Kaira. I, Varun and she are childhood buddies. We understand each other and get along with each other. Kaira was Varun's choice; out-going and fashionable. She was perfect for him. Though it hurts to admit, but still they make a really very good couple.

I seriously can't put what Varun feels for Kaira in words. It's just beyond me. Maybe it's like how I love him, he too loved her. How lucky she is? Not that I'm jealous or something, it just hurts to see them together but that's the reality. Everyone is unique in their own way. Just like that we three were different in our own ways. I was always the tomboy-ish girl of our gang. I never dressed up like a typical girl and was never fond of fashion and stuff. Make-up is just beyond me. Cooking, baking, gossiping; all these kind of stuff frustrated me.

I was always into playing different games like Football, Basketball and Cricket. I've always had a thing for sports especially outdoor ones. My Dad, never stopped me from doing anything which made me happy. I was grateful for this. I was always so engrossed in sports and studies, that I never found time to think about Varun's choice. He always dreamt of a girl who was out-going and fashionable. For him looks mattered the most.

I knew it was wrong and I had a talk with him too. But he being the immature kid, thought I was kinda insecure about my looks, felt he would leave me and tried to confront him. We've even had fights on this topic and it was always me who apologised to him. Not because I couldn't survive without him, which was kinda true but because he needed me.

He is the crazy kinda guy who needs a girl to take care of him but not a girl who's just like him, like Kaira. I just hope Kaira understands him and becomes mature enough to handle him. A tear dropped from my eyes as I thought about him. I seriously needed my Mom to hold me. She was the only one who knew about my childhood crush on Varun which is now my first, last and true love.

My Dad, Raghu Nanda, being the single parent of mine had really handled a spoilt sport like me. I'm really grateful. I've always troubled him and demanded for unexpected stuff but he being the Best Daddy, bought me everything without a single word. He never warned me or forced me to behave like a typical girl and let me be the tomboy which I always was. He always brushed off my relatives' taunts and shut their mouths by defending me. I seriously love him for raising me in such a great way and for helping me develop myself. He is a dangerous businessman, handling our merged company, Moonshine Project Pvt. Ltd., with Sunanda Grandmom. My late Granddad and Varun's late Granddad found this company which deals with the wedding planning of most rich and respectful people of our country. Though my Dad handles a big company and is dangerous too, he still acts like a small kid infront of me. That's what I love the most about him.

Mom; these words bought tears to my eyes. Being the single child, and that too a girl, it was tough for me without my Mom. My Mom, Anuradha Nanda, passed away when I was thirteen years. She suffered from Blood Cancer. At that time, our Companies were having loss and my Mom was put under a lots of pressure. My Dad came late to home and was always cranky. She borne all his tantrums and stayed with him. She even helped him in his business but due to her excessive pressure and her already spoilt health, she couldn't fight any longer and left me and my Dad alone. My Dad couldn't cope up with the guilt and promised himself that he would develop the Company along with taking good care of me. I had Varun and Kaira to cheer me up but my Dad had none. Still he was a strong man to fight with all the evils and now I hold great respect for my parents.

Thinking about my messed up past, two tears rolled down but I quickly wiped then and went to sleep.

Being in love was hard and being in love with your best friend is even more harder.