Chapter 25

*** Marie's POV ***

Tuesday May 25, 1960

I moped around Graceland for a few days, until it caught Delta and Dodger's attention. Dodger consoled me with her sweet caring nature while Delta just made me laugh with her fierce independency. I'm not sure who's taking care of who but for now, it seems like they're taking care of me. For the next couple of weeks, I caught up with Judy and Ashley.

Judy proudly tells me Russ is doing great in school. I can't believe he'll be going in to the second grade this year. It pulls at my heart strings knowing I watched him grow up right before my eyes. I felt terrible though, I haven't seen Judy, Robert or Russ in the very longest. I miss them, they're my first family and I've completely left them. Well, since E's making movies, I'll spend the time with the Tylersons' just like I used to.

In other news, Ashley came back from her lovely honeymoon and told me all about it, excluding the hotel room stories. She went to Hawaii with James before finally moving in with him in Memphis. She even told me she's pregnant! A lot is happening with everyone around me, a bun in the oven, a boy becoming an even bigger boy and hell even Vernon getting married to Dee. All this and I'm still practically doing the same thing since I first arrived back in time; doing nothing while getting old. Great, everyone is advancing in life with happiness and family while I- I'm just waiting for someone to come home every few months.

After my phone calls to the girls I lie in my bed, just staring up at the ceiling. What am I doing with my life now? Back in my present I was a psychologist. With a family related to me by blood, a house, a car and a good job. Although I didn't have anybody, I was doing something. Here: I don't have a job, someone had to buy me a car, clothes, and give me a home, but I have love here. My mind's spinning with thoughts.

What am I doing? I can't go back to my present, and even if I could I know I wouldn't be happy. I'd be like Priscilla was after Elvis left Germany, life wouldn't be the same. I have to do something now, get a job, do something that doesn't revolve around waiting for Elvis. Anything. All I wanted in my life was to live a leisure-full life and when I finally am, I'm bored. I'm entirely weird. I sit up from my bed and stare at the clean, white carpet. I should get a job, but how? I couldn't be a psychologist without my certification and I'm not feeling the going to college thing again, I didn't the first time and definitely won't now.

Taking off my robe, I change in to a light yellow, long sleeve, somewhat sheer, dress that's perfect for spring. It somewhat looks like something a hippie would wear. If the press brands me that then so be it, I do what I want. I slip on short brown boots with fringe all around them. I brush my hair and lightly tease the top, sacrificing my healthy hair for the love of mod. I grab my bag, one of the Chanel bags Elvis gave me for my birthday long ago and I dash down the stairs aiming for the front door. Suddenly, Dodger surprises me walking out of the music room.

"Honey pie, what are you doing?" she asks curious.

Smiling, I shrug and turn to her.

"I just wanna take a breather Mae. Ya know, think of stuff." I trust her with my life but I don't know how she'd think of me when I tell her I'm kinda bored of my life.

She shakes her head slowly making her way toward me. She grabs my shoulders and kisses my cheek.

"I know there's something the matter. Tell me Dearie." She says smiling.

I sigh, she wins. She knows best after all.

"Well, I don't know how to say this but--" I began reluctantly, she suddenly gasps.

"Tell me you're not havin' an affair, baby!" She exclaims with worry washing over her face.

Frantically, I shake my head no.