Chapter 33

Monday morning March 24, 1964

• Marie's POV •

I quietly tip toe my way upstairs at Graceland, with a shopping bag full of white lingerie. Nervously, I quickly run inside my room. I sigh, relieved of the tension fading. I hide the stash under my bed as I hear a knock on my door.

"Aye! There ain't 'sposed to be secrets between a man and his woman!" Elvis shouts angrily.

I roll my eyes and smirk.

"Oh yeah Elvis I'm just with another guy in here, don't worry." I say opening the door.

With a serious expression, he stares at me.

"What the hell you got under your little sleeves?" He questions and leaning close to my forehead.

I peck him on the lips.

"Your wedding gift." I say sweetly.

His eyes grow wide with a sly grin on his dopey face. He leans on my doorframe with crossed arms.

"Can I guess what it is? Another Harley? Uhh-"

"More like keep putting your nose in my business again and I'll pummel you." I threaten with a small smile.

He smirks.

"I love it when ya talk dirty." He bites his lips.

I laugh and push him off my door frame. I shut the door and he howls- like a dog this time.

"Don't worry about your gift, honey pie. It'll be waiting for you at the alter!" He shouts laughingly.

I roll my eyes and take out the bag of lingerie. I take out a piece and glare at it, uncomfortably. I booked an appointment with one of Elvis' trusting photographers for a photo shoot of myself in some slutty crap as his gift. I throw the piece back in the bag, maybe I should give him another Harley, something that doesn't involve me being half naked in front of a camera. I glance at the clock by my bed, goosebumps rise. I can't get out of it now, the appointment's in half an hour. I sigh and dump the lingerie in my purse. The pompous red head would probably jump at this offer.

I grab my sunglasses and head down the stairs. The Colonel watches me as I step down the last step. He walks towards me fixing his sport coat. With a blank expression I glare at him.

"Mornin' Marie." He mutters taking a cigar out.

"Good morning."

"Listen, I've been meaning to talk to ya. Glad you're keeping this away from the media. Knowin' y'all's engaged is enough."

I shake my head, for once I agree with the shrewd.

"But I'm also adding somethin' to make Elvis' career blow out of the roof."

Oh no.

"A press conference. Right after y'all get married." He says clenching the cigar in his teeth.

"Excuse me?" I ask disgusted.

He chuckles lighting his cigar.

"It's business sweetheart. I'm just lettin' ya know is all. I'll be talking to Elvis and his Daddy. Why don't you run along and get to what? Gettin' ya hair done I presume?" He says in a mocking tone.

Furious, I walk out the front door. He's lucky I can't be late for this appointment and for the fact I know better than to hit stupid people. I speed off to the photo shoot dreading the moment I'll have to change- more like undress.

••••••

• Elvis POV •

I fix my tan sport coat after Marie kicks me out of her room. She's slick but I'll find a way. I head back into my room, thinking of what I'd get for Marie. She has pounds of jewelry, clothes and everything in between. Suddenly, a knock on my door interrupts my thoughts. I open the door to see the Colonel and Daddy right behind him.