Chapter 26

*** Elvis' POV ***

Midnight Thursday May 27, 1960

I'm restless and I can't sleep right. I'm a zombie for fucks sake. After a few hours of twisting and turning in bed, I decide to call Graceland. I wanna go somewhere tomorrow morning. I sit up on my bed and dial the number.

The phone rings for a few seconds, then I hear one of the housekeeper's voice. I practically beg her to wake Marie up. As she picks up her phone, I hear her yawn sweetly.

"...Hell-o?" she wearily asks in a soft tone.

My heart and I smile. God I missed her voice.

"Baby. Let's go to Vegas." I whisper as she yawns again.

".....Why?" she asks drowsy than ever.

I chuckle, "I- I just wanna think is all."

She groans, "You can think at Graceland." She whispers sighing.

"Nah, I want ya to go home as much as you can. 'Sides I can't think straight with them sonsabitches still working out in the yard." I growl in a low tone.

She yawns again making me chuckle.

"Well ok then...........when do ya wanna go?" She asks softly.

"Friday." I say.

There was silence for a brief second, I hear Marie quietly breathing in and out. I hear her yawn again.

"Alrighty. So what do I do?" She curiously asks.

I think for a second, listening to her soft breathing.

"I'll fly you over here today- so we can drive to Vegas and make it by Friday." I say with excitement growing.

"Ok then..." She says in a light voice.

I chuckle, I lie back down on my bed

"Damn baby, it's nice to finally hear you."

"Mhhm." She softly says.

I smile hearing her breathe.

"Goodnight to you too." I say wrapping myself with a blanket with one hand and the other holding my phone to my ear.

"Mhm." She says again.

My muscles relax and my eyes get droopy. I hear her breathing until I fall in to a deep sleep.

I wake up to the damn birds chirping. I drop the phone on to the floor. I grab it and listen to the receiver, she's still sleeping. This girl's got a hold on me. I hang up and rub my eyes. I gotta tell Pa he needs to get her a flight over here. I run out of my room and into the living room. Daddy, Dee and the Memphis crew look up at me, bewildered.

"Get Marie out here by tonight." I demand glaring at Pa.

I walk back in my room without another word.

______________________________
*** Marie's POV ***

I wake up with the sound of the phone disconnecting the phone call. I slump up from my bed and stretch. Elvis called, but what'd he want again? I hang up the phone, soon having it ring again. I pick up the phone.

"Hello??"

"Damn it Mary! I hope you ain't losing your hearing! I've been calling for for half an hour!" Jerry says with concern.

I giggle turning back at my bed.

"I was asleep Jerr. Elvis called me at like 3 last night and I guess I didn't hang up. I just woke up. Sorry." I sweetly say.