Chapter 32

• Marie's POV •

We spent the holidays as a close family, like always. Love and selfless acts brought in the new year. And Elvis' birthday was like any other filled with gifts and a ecstatic Elvis. We spend every minute of the celebration in his Bel Air home, happily. While in the meantime, Elvis and I began making wedding arrangements, dreadfully. We decided to marry sometime in May. Tragically, that's all the wedding arrangements we've done so far. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought. Especially since both of us are lazy.

Noon Friday, January 12 ,1964

Back in Graceland, I dump all of the wedding magazines I've bought throughout the last few months on the dinning room table. Mary watches me with interest. A smile grows as I glance at her. She finishes drying the last wet dish and sits in a seat across from me.

"How's them wedding planning going, sweety?" She kindly asks.

I shrug.

"I haven't even started, Mary." I confess.

She smiles ear to ear.

"In my opinion, that's the best kind of wedding, the kind ya just wing because you're in love!" She exclaims making me laugh.

"But just to make sure, I suggest you hire a wedding planner honey." She suggests.

I nod, thank goodness for Mary. I thank her and run to Vernon's office. Patsy and Vern look up at me, surprised.

"Uhm. Sorry. But I need some information." I softly say making both of them smile.

"Wedding planner?" Patsy questions putting a hand on her hip.

"The best you can find, please." I chime in.

She nods, making Vernon raise a brow. I turn to him and smile.

"Don't worry Vern, I'll pay for this. I still have some money saved up." I say making his eyes widen.

He shakes his head and slams his fist on the desk.

"Ain't no future daughter of mine paying for her wedding." He exclaims.

My heart melts.

"Vernon-"

"Don't Vernon me honey. You've been with us through thick and thin. You're family now, you don't have to worry anymore. You'll get the best of the best in anything you need. Got it?" He sternly says.

With wide eyes I nod, "Yes, sir."

He nods smirking.

"Thank you." I exclaim before closing the door.

What the hell just happened? I shake my head laughing out, man, I can't believe this isn't a dream. I find myself back in the dinning room, sitting in front of all the wedding magazines. I look through, completely disinterested. Joining Elvis and the guys to the gun range sure does sound fun right now, suddenly Patsy walks in proudly playing with a piece of paper in the air. She's smiling wide as she sits down next to me. She hands me the piece of paper with a sly grin.

"The best in half the states lives in Memphis."

I yank it out of her hand playfully.

"I hope so. Thanks Pat." She nods strutting back to the office, proud.

I get up and run to the nearest telephone. I wrap the cord around my finger nervously. The wedding planner picks up and introduces herself. Thank goodness she answered. I told her about my slight dilemma and my wedding month. She ecstatically takes up my offer and I thank her. I ask her to keep this a secret from all the press and she happily promises me. She told me she'd be arriving at Graceland to gather information for the wedding. I run up my room hurrying to make myself a little presentable. With my long sleeve, turquoise swing dress, I slip on nude flats and pull my hair in a bun. Just as I finish the door bell rings. Mary opens the door as I make my way downstairs. I smile up at the wedding planner.