Chapter 30

• Marie's POV •

Late Wednesday night, September 27, 1963

I wake up in a cold sweat. My hearts racing as I sit up frantically looking around the pitch dark room. Hot tears roll down and quietly, I start to sob. I cover my face with my hands trying my best not to wake Elvis. With me beginning to tremble, I feel his arm pulling me to him. He cradles me, stroking my hair. He tries calming me down but more tears fall. He stretches his arm to the lamp beside the bed and switches it on. He cups my face and pulls me closer to his face, meeting his worried face. I shake my head as he wipes my tears away with his thumbs. In the middle of the night, it finally hit me, I don't have my family by my side.

"Satnin.... Baby.....Marie. Please tell me what's wrong??" Elvis pleas softly.

I gently take his hands off my face and cover my face with my hands.

"I don't have anyone.... All my family's back where I belong.....in the present." I mutter between sobs.

In a matter of seconds, Elvis hauls me back in his arms and cradles me. He kisses the top of my head and tightens his grip on me as I soak his night shirt with tears. Stroking my hair, he consoles me understanding my dismay. For the rest of the night, we didn't say a word. My crying slowly stopped after Elvis kept stroking my hair and kissing my cheek every now and then. I fell asleep in his arms and he knocked out right after I did.
••••••
• Elvis' POV •

I wake up concerned for Marie. I glance down at her in my arms. She's sleeping soundly and her soft, relaxed breathing calms my heart. I kiss her forehead, her eyes flutter open. A small smile grows, making her eyes light up and dimples show. She cups my cheek.

"I'm sorry." She whispers making me smile.

I shake my head, this girl's crazy.

"Ain't nothin' for ya to be sorry about, silly....."

"There ain't nothing that makes me feel horrible than knowing I can't do anything for your family, let alone your present..." I lift my head up, staring at the ceiling, feeling useless than ever.

Her hand drops from my cheek. I can give her everything she wants, the world, but I can't give her her family back, or even her old life. I hear her sniffle, I quickly glance down at her. She covers her sad face with a smile. I lean closer to her, making our foreheads touch. She sniffles again, I stare into her bright, enticing, chocolate brown eyes. Man, can they captivate me.

"I'm living a dream, I miss them but- I don't think I'd trade you and this life...for them and the present...even if I could." She quietly says, reluctantly.

As I gaze at her eyes, I notice the puffiness and dark circles under her eyes. I kiss her forehead, hoping it'd make her feel better. Her eyes close, a smile forms.

"Don't say that, satnin." I whisper kissing her cheek.

She wraps her arms around my neck, "I mean it." She softly mumbles.

Feeling ashamed, I hug her, tighter than ever. Having her choose me over her old life is an honor.

"You have a new family... You've had them right when you came back in time--- Judy... Rob... Russ.... Me.....Momma, Pa and hell even the guys." I whisper.

She sniffles again, nodding.

"I love all of you." She whispers squeezing my neck.

Smiling, I kiss her cheek. Her arms let go of my neck, and she glances up at me beaming.

"I love you." I say kissing the tip of her nose.

She pinches my cheek and I wince surprised.

"Better." She mutters smirking.