Chapter Four: Truce

"I won!"

I shouted as I put the horse piece on the chess board.

"A total checkmate!" I shouted as I gave Grey a victory smile.

"What? How?! You cheated!"

Seven, who is sitting on a chair right beside us, puts down the book he is reading as he stood up and smacked Grey's head.

"This is the fifteenth time you lose to Amber. You already owed her fifty ameths. Just accept it."

"No!"

I smirk as I slumped over ny chair. In my previous life, not only did I love playing chess but I also am good at it. Nobody in my previous world have ever beaten me. Except today.

Grey is the first person who has ever made me lose a single round in chess. Although he has five wins and fifteen loses, he is still a good opponent.

Right now, the four of us are inside Epiphyllum's library. We're the only one here because the librarian is busy packing. The three are trying to make a plan. So while Grandma Jill and Venus-sama are busy preparing. The four of us are doing research about fire demons.

"Again!"

I frowned, "No! I'm tired. Go play with Seven or Shade." I said as I motioned my hands to shoo Grey away.

Mean? I guess not.

"No! I want you as my opponent! The two of them don't even know how to play chess!"

I shrugged, "Not my problem."

I stood up and walked away from those two. Suddenly, I found myself in the 'Forbidden Techniques and Curses' Section of the library. I look at the books inside the bookshelves. I tried searching for my favorite book.

"Ah! There it is!" I mumbled as I tried reaching it.

I cursed.

The book is in the topmost shelf. I can't use air magic cause the librarian put up a spell that neutralizes magic to avoid damaging the books.

"Troublesome. Come here book!"

I jumped as I tried reaching for it again. Suddenly, a hand stretched out from behind me and grabbed the book.

"Need it shorty?" Shade ask as he held up the book above me.

I pouted, "Am not short! You're just tall!"

He shrugged, "Okay then. Here you go." He said as he gave me the book.

I lowered my head before mumbling a: "Thanks."

He smiled as he ruffle my hair, "Welcome." With that, Shade walked away.

I unconsciously patted my head before frowning. He messed up my hair. But atleast he helped me get my favorite book.

I walked towards a seat which is near a large window that has an overview of the town. I let out a sigh.

"You look like you're in a deep thought."

I jumped back and was slightly startled when Seven suddenly appeared from behind a bookshelf.

"What are you doing here?"

He shrug, "Nothing. I saw you here so I thought, why not?"

I let out a sigh, "You guys are weird. At first, you guys hate me. But now? Ha, I don't even know what to say."

"Just think about it as our truce. We'll be fighting against a fire demon, to say the least, we need to cooperate and help each other."

I frowned, "Why aren't you scared of me?"

"What? Why would I be scared of you?" He said while letting out a mocking smile.

"I hate being a prodigy. You know, I don't have any friends around my age due to the fact that either they're scared or intimidated by me. Especially after what happened in that accident." I mumbled, "Add to the fact that i'm always cold and expressionless. I can't properly express my feelings."

Silence enveloped us when Seven suddenly smacked my head and broke the moment of peace,

"You're stupid. Look at us! We aren't scared of you."

"You're clueless."

"What did you say?"

I let out a cold laugh before looking at the scenery outside the window in a daze, "You just haven't met her yet."

"Huh? Who?"

"The other me. You just haven't met her yet." I said with a cold smile.

I suddenly laugh out loud when I saw Seven's scared face. Although it was only a moment, it didn't escaped my eyes. They're all the same.

"Come on! I'm just joking." I said as I pull him towards where Shade and Grey are seated.

"What's with you two?! Suddenly, leaving us alone!" Grey shouted at us.

"Ah, we're just discussing over some..." I then turned to look at Seven to help me finish my statement.

"Stuff." He said boredly.

I frowned. Seven noticed my reaction and he only ruffle my hair.

"Tsk. Hey!" I grumbled as I smack his hands away.

"So, found anything about fire demons?" I asked.

Shade nodded, "Only a bit. The book has only limited information about fire demons."

"It's okay. Go on."

"Fire demons are seventh level demons. Twice as large compare to normal humans. It's body has a protective layer and its fireball can burn anything to ashes in seconds. Currently, it does not have any weakness."

A seventh level demon. Each type of demon and monsters are categorized on its own level of power. Lowest level starting from the first while the highest is the tenth level.

"Hmm... base on the fire demon we are dealing with." Grey said, "Right now, it can't even maintain its true form. The demon will need to wait until midnight to regain its power."

"So? What are you trying to prove?"

"I'm saying that either we fight the fire demon now when it's at its weakest or we'll wait 'till midnight where its power is..."

"It's obvious that we should fight it while the demon is at its weakest." Seven stated calmly.

I opened my favorite book and sat down on the floor,

"Nice plan, the only problem is, how are we going to defeat it if we can't even see it?"

"Ah! There's still an option!" Grey stated before standing up excitedly.

"An hour before midnight, eventhough we can't see the demon, we might still feel its presence."

Seven then frowned, "So you're thinking of taking a risk?"

"Well, why not? Right, Grey?" I smirk before turning to look at him.

"And besides, maybe tonight you'll might see her Seven."

I saw how Seven suddenly shuddered.

"Hey, what is she talking about?"

Seven immediately shook his head, "Nothing! So we'll continue with Grey's plan?"

I clapped my hands and nodded,

"Sure. What's the worst thing that could happen. Right?"