Chapter Thirteen: Puppeteer

I immediately ran back towards where the headmaster and his companions were, when I noticed Shade, Grey and Seven walking towards their direction.

My head hurts from thinking.

The heroine has a unique power in the game. But what power?! She doesn't even have one! Don't tell me that this is what really happened behind the scenes?

A mob character decided to help the heroine?!

"Where's Amber?" Seven asked coldly.

Right now, I was hiding behind the headmaster. Unfortunately, he decided to diss me off by stepping aside, revealing my pity little self.

"Where were you when the assassins attacked?"

I almost choked in my own saliva, "Uhm... right here?"

"Did you know that we almost got killed?"

I laughed awkwardly, "Don't worry, Meadow nee-san was able to save you."

Grey frowned, "We know, but her power seemed a bit familiar."

I almost cried. The other half of the group easily believed that Meadow did saved them but why this half of the group started even doubting her?

"Ah... she might be a prodigy you know! There are many geniuses in the whole realm!" I shouted.

"Are you sure?" Shade asked.

"Yes yes! And how can I even help you six if i'm trap inside a barrier? Now don't be rude to Meadow and thank her!"

The three frowns deepened.

"Why did she fainted?" Grey suddenly asked to the other half of the group.

Nathan touched Meadow's forehead, "She has no mana or magic essence left. I guess she fainted due to pushing her powers too far. Those spells that she chanted are all powerful."

What 'she fainted due to pushing her powers too far'? She doesn't even have mana or magic essence because she have no element! They really misunderstood the situation.

But I hope they will.

Seven stayed silent, his face looking really doubtful, "But, earlier I thought... I couldn't feel any mana inside her... ugh, never mind." He mumbled but it didn't escaped my ears.

This scene is really important in the game because it could determine what would happen in the future. Now that the heroine saved the six, it means that she chose the harem route.

If they find out that I did save them, then the harem would turn to me. I'd rather choose that the heroine handle the harem because I can easily escape if things gets too... bloody.

So, to keep the harem still focused on the heroine, it means in the future, I would need to work with her. Me, being the puppeteer and Meadow being the puppet.

To get the other half to stop doubting the heroine, I suddenly thought of a devious plan.

"Sorry for being unable to save you six! It goes to show that i'm unworthy of being your shadow guard!" I shouted before bowing my head deeply. My action made the six shocked.

"Hey Amber, the situation isn't really serious..."

"No! I was unable to fulfill my job! If it wasn't for Meadow nee-san, then the six of you might have been dead already!" I shouted and tried my best to shed some tears.

"Because of my carelessness it almost took your lives! Please consider my statement and..."

Tears started flowing out my eyes like a waterfall and my voice is already hoarse from shouting, "And choose Meadow instead!"

The six was dumbstruck, especially Grey, Shade and Seven.

Seven's face suddenly became serious, "I thought hunters shouldn't back down on their promise."

"But i've already made a fatal mistake! Hunters that are unable to fulfill their job should be replaced!"

"No! I order you to fulfill your task!" Grey shouted sternly.

I bit my bottom lip and decided to kneel, "Please! I'm begging you!"

Seven, Grey and Shade decided to be stubborn and wouldn't want to withdraw my task. While the other half looked at me pitifully.

"Her pride and reputation hangs on the line. It would be really bad for Amber's consciousness and guilt to handle the job if she already failed for the first time." Ethan said while trying to persuade the three.

I bit my lip really hard that I could already taste my blood. Just endure it for a little longer.

"Just agree to her conditions already. I don't want a shadow guard like her that almost got us killed!" Nathan sneered.

My face scrunched up and I held myself back to retort at Nathan's statement.

Screw you!

Ace sighed before helping me stand up, "Okay. We agree to your conditions. Stand up already imouto."

I nodded weakly before standing up. I looked at my white dress which got dirty from kneeling.

Ace squatted before helping me wipe my tears away, "It's okay. Stop crying already. Everything will be fine." He comforted.

I wish.

Seven scowled, "Alright! If that's what you want then i'll agree to it! But, you'll continue to go to this school as your punishment!" He shouted before kicking a nearby chair and walking away.

I flinched. Grey and Shade also glared at me before walking away.

Ace stood up and handed me a handkerchief before patting my head.

"Thank you nii-san."

He gave me a comforting smile before returning to help carry Meadow to the school clinic.

I sighed. It's better this way. If they're angry at me, then they'll avoid me in the campus. That way, I wouldn't get myself involved in the story.

"I'd rather loose my friends than loose my life." I mumbled before smiling bitterly. Well, i'm really destined to be a loner for life.

The other half of the group, also started walking away while carrying the unconscious Meadow.

I suddenly felt someone ruffle my hair,

"Nice acting puppeteer." The headmaster commented.

"But why did you do that? Those three looked really hurt and betrayed." Headmaster Rivers said.

I lowered my head before clenching my fists.

"Reasons." I said bitterly.