Chapter 18

HER POV:

Two days later...

I wasn't expecting him to come today either. He hadn't been coming to college since the past two days. But, today here he was. I hope everything was okay. He didn't look really good. His head was hanging low. I tried to make eye contact with him during the first period but he didn't dare look in my eyes. Heck! He didn't even glance my way!

I was getting more annoyed by the second. I just told him two days ago that if he needed anything, I would help him out. While the teacher was going on and on about one thing or the other, I tried to grab his attention but no. He plain ignored me. I sighed, remembering the fact that I was just an annoying girl in his class and nothing more. He's got other things to worry about. I'm just a side character in his normal and simple life.

I didn't feel good about it.

As the bell rang for recess, I kept my eyes on Waqqar. I didn't expect him to leave and I was right. He sat there, looking at his textbook with a pencil in his hand. I gathered up some courage and walked to him. He saw me coming and quickly looked the other way. What was with him today?

I wasn't gonna give up so easily either. I sat down across him. "Hey, Waqqar." I shot him a smile. He nodded, lips tight. "Yeah, Salam." He said dully. I tapped my nails on his desk, waiting. When he just awkwardly sat there staring at everything but me, I got impatient.

"So?" I asked. "So?" He echoed.

"Waqqar!" I snapped. He jumped and finally looked at me. "What is with you today? What happened? Is everything ok? Where have you been since Monday?"He sighed and let his head fall on his book. "Nadeem Chachoo lost his job."I tut-tutted. " I'm sorry to hear that. But where have you been these past two days?"

"Looking for a part time job. I need to help him out you know. I have to at least make sure I don't burden him with my own expenses.""Any luck?" I asked him. He raised his head and shook it. "Only small scale. They offered me at the library near my home. Then there's this guy who could really use a mechanic... But it's not enough. Not nearly enough to cover much of anything."

I felt my heart tug for him. He looked truly miserable then, and that small pout on his face was really cute, but of course he didn't need to know that. I tapped my nails again, thinking.

" Oh! I know!" I grinned at his curious expression. " My Abi has a really cool textile business. I could ask him to look up a position for you."He blinked. " What? But how would you- could you do that?"

" Of course!" I told him. "And Abi really likes you. He'd definitely look something up for you. Hmm, come to think of it, I should ask him about helping your uncle as well!"

"Wait, Romma." Waqqar held up his hands quickly, silencing me. "Look, that's really nice and all, but I don't want you and your dad to go through all the trouble to find us jobs-"

"Why not?" I demanded crossly. "Abi isn't going to find you a job, he's going to give you one. And why can't we go through the trouble for you? Your Muslims just like us! You deserve our help more than anyone!"Waqqar just looked at me in surprise. I shook my head at him angrily. "Really, Waqqar, if you don't want me to help, just say so!"

I made to get up and leave, but he suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me back down. "Romma, wait!" Then he realized he was holding my arm and quickly let go, blushing. "Uh, sorry, I didn't mean-" he grinned at me nervously. "What I want to say is, yes, please, I do want you to help. It would mean a lot."

I smirked at him. " Got back on line, did you? Fine, I'm going to talk to Abi today. And I'll let you know tomorrow. Ok?"He nodded, still red in the face. I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder. "Ok then. Wainee. I'm off for lunch." I was about to go out the door when he called my name. I looked back. "What?"

"Jazakumullah." He said. The smile he sent me was so nice and cute I felt weak in the knees. "No prob." I told him and quickly ran out, wishing no one would be able to see the blush on my face.

That Wainee! He sure knows how to make a girl swoon. All the way going to the cafeteria, I felt my heart thumping loudly in my chest. It felt as if it would break out any time now. As I pushed open the large door, I heard the loud chattering of the students now clearly. My eyes landed on a group of my friends. The boys were seating on the table probably pulling some dirty stunts at the girls.

I somehow didn't feel like going to them but I had no choice now. I couldn't go back to the class to face Waqqar. I ran out of there, remember? I just feel so nervous around Waqqar now. I saw Stacy and Lucy wave at me with a bright smile on their faces. I just had to go now. I walked up to the table which was filled with people. "Hey, Romma. We saved a seat for ya!" Jordan nudged me.

I nodded and sat down on the only seat I saw empty. There were a total of 10 people here and I felt suffocated. "It's been so long, Romma. You hardly talk to us anymore." Laura complained. I shrugged. "Dunno. Guess I'm too busy." I made up a lie on the spot.

Stacy frowned upon hearing my excuse. "No, we know for a fact that you're anything but busy." She said. Lucy agreed, nodding. "Yeah, you're never busy." She commented. I thought about it all.

They were right. It's been quite a while since I even touched a drink. I didn't go to a party since the past four weeks! Was I the one changing?? If so, then why? What was the reason. I don't even like hanging out with boys any more. I'm single for about 3 weeks and I still haven't hooked up with a guy! What was happening? I didn't realize it before but now that I think about it, this has been starting to happen since I was getting these strange feelings around Waqqar.

Was it Waqqar? Was he finally having an effect on me? I don't know whether to think that was a good thing or bad...