Chapter 39

HIS POV:

"Chachoo?" I repeated. Nadia Khala nodded, picking Meena up in her arms. "Do you have any idea what he has to talk about?" I asked her. She shrugged. "I'm not so sure if I'm right but it has something to do with your boss." She responded. I frowned in confusion. My boss? Romma's dad?

"Jazakumullah, Khala. I'll go there now." I turned to her and smiled. She smiled back and I rushed up to my room to change. After changing, I took my phone and headed towards Chachoo's study. "Can I come in?" I called from the door, knocking twice. The door flew open and Chachoo gave me a warm smile. "Come on in. I was waiting for you." He told me. I sat down on a nearby chair and Chachoo sat across me.

I looked around the study. Large, chocolate brown cupboards everywhere. There was a desk in the middle of the room. Piles of papers were stacked there messily. The ceiling fan made a creaking noise each time it completed an orbit. Two small, old chairs were placed in front of the desk. The room looked old, so did the furniture.

"Assalamualaikum, Chachoo. You didn't go to work?" I questioned once we settled down. "Waalaykumusalaam. I came in early today. Had to fill in Meena's fees." He informed me. I nodded knowingly in reply. It was silent for a few minutes until I spoke up. "Nadia Khala told me you had something to discuss with me...?" I asked. He nodded, confirming my statement. "Oh yes." He started, folding his hands and leaning forward to come closer. "A... Situation has come up. I had to talk to you immediately." Chachoo seemed hesitant in his words.

I sat up straight, assuring him that I was listening. He frowned in hesitation. His eyes went here and there as if he was in an inner battle with himself. "I know I'm not your real father and that only he has the right to talk to you about such an important matter. But, since Mr. Albasha spoke directly to me; I think it's fair enough that I talk directly to you too." Chachoo was making me more and more confused. I had no clue about what he had to talk about.

"Of course, Chachoo. You're at the same place as my real father. You can talk to me without hesitation." I assured him. He sighed. "Well beta, I want to know what you plan about marriage." He said. My eyes widened. Marriage?? "Marriage?" I repeated. He nodded slowly. I licked my lips, lost in thought. "Well... Uhh... I don't quite understand what you want to ask me." I admitted. He pressed his lips. "When do you plan to get married?" He asked.

"Well... I don't really know." I started. "I mean, I never thought that I'll be the one to decide that. It's the right of my parents, right? Whenever they want. I'll be ready. It's not like I'm running out of time or anything. I'm just 21 at the moment." I explained. Chachoo nodded knowingly when I finished. "Fair enough." He remarked. "Anyway, what I want to say is that; there's a potential proposal for you." Chachoo dropped the bomb. I blinked at him.

Proposal?? Whose?

"Proposal?" I gulped down the lump forming in my throat. "Yes. And it's a good one. Although, I'm not sure what your parents will think." Chachoo replied. If I said that I wasn't curious, I'd be lying. "Whose proposal is it?" I pried. Chachoo smiled at my curiosity. "Well, it's Mr. Albasha's young daughter herself." Chachoo exclaimed. My jaws dropped to the ground. Romma?? Romma?!! Did her Dad honestly send me a proposal? Did she just indirectly propose to me again?!

"You mean Romma Albasha??" I wanted to confirm it. He frowned. "Romma? No that's not her name. It's Umme Romman." Chachoo told me. Umme Romman?? That's her name? I certainly wasn't expecting that. Umme Romman was actually a great name. I liked the sound of it. "Oh." Was what I said.

"Anyway. What do you think of her?" Chachoo went straight to the point after that. The question was a scary one. I didn't answer him and stayed quiet. He didn't press it since he knew that I couldn't make a decision right there and then. "I know. You need time. That's perfectly fine. I'll discuss it with your parents until then. You just focus on your exam." Chachoo patted my shoulder and gave me a smile.