Chapter 31

HER POV...

"So, are you taking your camera?" Lucy asked me on the phone. I shrugged, immediately realizing that she couldn't see me. "Dunno. I'm not really into photography." I told her. She let out a snicker. "Oh really? Last time I remembered, your phone had 2 thousand six hundred pictures of yourself in it." Lucy said. I nodded. "Yep, you're right. But, I like taking selfies. Not really nature and stuff. Taking pictures of us is the job of my phone. I don't really need to take a camera." I said.

"Hmm. I guess you're right. Anyway, mom's calling. Gotta go. See you at school tomorrow. We're gonna have a blast!" Lucy beamed and cut the call. I sighed and layed back to my bed, throwing my phone to my left in the process. I was excited for this trip but was worried about the week after. We were gonna have a lot of tests and essays to complete because exams were coming up. After that, university would start. Since the last meeting with Waqqar, Maria showed up wearing hijab the next day and Waqqar wouldn't stop talking about her which pissed me off.

I told myself to cheer up because I wasn't let myself be all gloomy at the camping trip. No way in earth was that gonna happen! I, Romma Albasha would continue my quest to make Waqqar fall for me and reject that sly fox, Maria! I had been all worried and gloomy since the day o got to know Maria and I were rivals. I decided not to let my morale down because if I did, Maria could take advantage of me. That wasn't the only reason.

Waqqar has always known me to be an outgoing, jolly person. He accepted me as a good friend that way. If I change myself, he might not want to be with me. And besides, why should I change myself just because of a person who betrayed me without thinking twice that I was her friend? I love myself the way Allah made me and even if Waqqar doesn't like that, I won't change my personality. But of course, I'll try to change my flaws into good things.

Inshallah, I was gonna win this battle!

Next day...

"OMG! I forgot my HAND BAG IN THE CAR!" I heard a girl shriek as we got onto the bus to leave for Jasper National park. I really felt bad for the poor girl as she looked as if she was about to cry. "I had my phone in it and all the important stuff!" She shouted once again and I suddenly had an urge to go and help her. Just as I was about to turn to help her despite the fact that I could miss the bus, I heard Waqqar say my name. "Romma!" I looked back to the entrance of the bus and saw him standing there with a gentle smile playing on his lips. "Salams, Waqqar. I'm sorry but I need to go." I told him in a hurry. His wonderful smile turned into a frown of worry. "Are you okay? What happened?" He asked.

"Nothing. I need to help her. She seems overly devastated." I pointed at the girl before shoving my bag in Waqqar's arm and running off in her direction. Without looking back, I rushed to the girl's rescue. "Is your car yours or someone came to drop you off?" I asked her. She frowned in worry. "It was my mom's. It's a silver Honda Civic. But what can we do now? My mom's probably gone and I can't afford to go back to the parking lot. It'll take too much time." She told me worry clear on her face.

"Don't worry. You leave for the trip and I'll go and check." I said before heading for the parking lot which was almost 60 metres away. Being a champion in a sport gave me the advantage of running fast enough to reach there in 3 to 4 minutes. I looked around for a honda Civic and spotted one just leaving. I ran towards the car and saw that the mother had stopped for a little snack before leaving. "Ma'am! Your daughter left her handbag here. She had all the money there. Can you please give it to me?" The woman looked at me confused and then what I was talking about. She looked around in the car and spotted her daughter's bag.

She quickly handed it to me and ran back. I heard her shout a loud "thank you" on the way back. I smiled to myself.

As I reached there, the bus hadn't left which I was thankful for. I gave the girl her bag and found myself an empty seat with Waqqar. As I settled back and relaxed, I realized what I had just done. I smiled triumphantly and gave myself a pat on the back. Mentally though. I had helped someone and risked myself for that. I felt so happy and proud with myself that I couldn't hide the smile forming on my face. "What you did was amazing. Mashallah, Romma. I didn't know you had started being so kind and thoughtful." Waqqar spoke up. I looked at him, a blush creeping up my face.