Chapter 34

HIS POV...

"Gather around, guys!" Iris shouted to all of us. The whole class gathered in one place where Iris could see us all. We had just come back from the tiring hike. Personally, I was very glad we were back. Those pathways were way too dangerous. One wrong move and you'll go flying down the cliff.

"I hope you guys are having fun up till now." She smiled brightly and a few class fellows gave her a thumbs up. Most of them were too busy in their own stuff. "To lighten things up, I thought we would take you guys to the town festival tomorrow. It's really beautiful there and I'm sure you would enjoy. So, you guys better pack all your stuff at exact 9 in the morning. We're gonna leave our big luggage at the buses and go to the town from there. You can bring money if you want to try out their traditional foods. Anyway, meet me in this exact same spot tomorrow morning." Iris declared and got off the log she was standing on.

Everyone scattered around and got busy in their own stuff. I decided to pack up early so I could be free tomorrow. I walked to the tent and saw it was empty. Harry might be hanging around with Damian. It gave me a peaceful time packing up. As i took hold of my flashlight, the tent's entrance opened and someone peeked in. Thinking that it was Harry, I didn't bother turning around.

"Can I come in?" I was a bit startled as I turned around to see that it wasn't Harry. "Oh, Maria." I was confused as to why she would come to meet me at this time. Especially when we were here alone. "Sure, come in." I told her and she did. "What're you doing?" She asked me, looking at the flashlight in my hand. "Nothing much. Just packing up for tomorrow." I replied. At that moment, I remembered what Romma had told me in the woods.

Maria wanted to marry me as well. The thought made it awkward for me to talk to Maria. "Oh," she just said. I could sense that she was nervous. I looked at her and saw that she had a hijab on. When I first looked at it, I had thought that it was so cool she started wearing a hijab. And I also remember wishing Romma would be the same. But now, for some reason, it doesn't seem such a big thing.
Furthermore, I feel as if Romma had the purest heart. "You wanted to say something?" I asked her and she looked a little startled. She then started nodding slowly. "Yeah. I just wanted to ask you something." She said, fiddling with her fingers. I nodded, motioning her to continue. "What do you hang out with Romma so much?" She suddenly asked put of nowhere.

I frowned at the question. I quickly grabbed another of my slippers and dumped them inside the bag. "What do you mean? She's my friend that's why I hang out with her." I replied, pretending as if I had no clue why Maria was asking me this. Romma had already told me that Maria liked me and this question confirmed that.

"No, I mean. She..." Maria trailed off. I continued with my work, trying to avoid any contact. "Isn't a good person." She finished. This caused to me look at her. I scowled. "How can you say that? You don't even know her." I tried to be polite but my voice gave my act away. Maria seemed to back away defensively. "I didn't mean to say anything offending. I just wanted to say that she isn't a proper Muslim. I mean, she doesn't even wear the hijab or anything. She's always hanging around with other boys and not to mention her boyfriends_" I inturrepted her which did seem a little rude.

"You can't judge her like that, Maria. She has changed and is probably the nicest and kindest girl I have ever met." I told her. For some reason, I was getting angry. She can't judge Romma like that. "But Waqqar!" She stopped and took a deep breath. "Whatever the reason. I personally think that you shouldn't talk about Romma that way. Remember, backbiting is like eating the flesh of your brother or in this case, sister. Romma and you are like the only Muslimahs in the whole school. Instead of thinking negatively about her like that, you should stick together and be friends like Muslimahs should!" I finished my little speech and got back to my work.