Chapter 45

HER POV:

"Lucy, check." 

"Stacy, check." 

"Violet, check."

"Maria..." I trailed off and lifted my head from the list. Then I glanced back at it. Maria's name was scribbled right underneath Violet's. If we were gonna invite Violet, it was common sense that Maria showed up too. 

But.. I had plans for that evening. I wanted to announce my engagement to Waqqar and with Maria standing in the crowd, it would just be plain mean of me. It would be as I were rubbing it in her face that she didn't get Waqqar and I did.

I ran a hand through my locks, walking around with frustration. I was in a fight with myself. A buzz filled in my ears and I turned to glance at my phone laying on the bed. I reached out for it. Iris had just texted me asking how the planning was going and if I needed any help. I smiled as I read her text.

"No way, girl. You relax. It's a party in your honor. I can't possibly let you help." I responded with the same smile plastered on my face. She was an amazing friend. One of the reasons for everything good in my life right now. Alhamdulillah. I really did get the best. 

My thoughts faded when I realized that I had a problem. I sighed and plopped down on the bed, my hair scattering all over the sheets. I wanted to invite Maria to the party, but I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. I mean, she did hate my guts. 

I sat up straight as an idea hit me. I rushed into the bathroom to get ready. I didn't have much time. The party was tonight. I had to get to her house before that. I made my way to the car and didn't wait for the driver. I drove myself to Maria's house. Good thing I knew the way to her house since I had dropped Violet off there a few months ago. The day when all of us went shopping but Violet had to go to Maria's house to console her.

I sighed as I thought about those days. It was sad that I couldn't be friends with Maria. She had seemed like such an amazing person. Until that day when I got to know she was Prim_Rosa. She had switched personalities in a matter of seconds. From being the nice, smart pretty girl to the mean, snobbish witch.

I parked the car outside the house and grabbed my bag and keys. In a matter of minutes, I was standing outside the door. I gulped down the lump forming in my throat as I hesitantly reached for the door bell. My heart pounded in my chest and a chain of possible scenarios crossed my mind at once. I bit my lip as the distant sound of "ting tong" filled my ears. 

I started fidgeting, waiting for the door to open. Maria would be surprised to say the least. However, her attitude towards me after that remained a mystery. I prepared myself for the worst. 

The clicking of the door knob caused me to freeze in my place. The door slowly opened. Even though all this was happening in a few seconds, it felt as if it was taking the person hours to pull the door. Finally, it revealed Maria. Her expression was nothing but the usual before she laid her eyes on me. Slowly, her eyes widened and her brows furrowed. 

I didn't know what to do so I just grinned sheepishly with a wave. "Salaam, Maria." The words rolled off my tongue. "You." She spoke with remorse and disgust. It really didn't bother me since I knew this was going to happen to some extent. "You're supposed to say Wa Salaam." I responded, feeling a bit more relaxed and adding a nice, sweet smile. Maria's angry expression slowly faded.

"Wa Salaam." She said quietly. To be honest, I didn't expect her to say that. I thought she was gonna roll her eyes or throw a  few snarky comments at me. 

A few seconds of silence passed before Maria spoke up again. "What are you doing here?" She asked, blankly. Not with anger, not with a mocking tone, just blankly. "Uhh..." I bit my lip, unsure of how to start. "Can I come in? This will take a while." I smiled again, showing her that I wasn't here to fight or show off.