Rebound, But Newfound {7}

***Tommy’s POV***

                I jumped up and fell back to the ground. I let out a frustrated sigh and pushed myself back to my feet, picking up the basketball.

                I backed up and ran back at the basketball hoop in the driveway. I jumped up and the basketball touched the rim before I fell down again.

                I glared up at the basketball hoop. I bet Kory could make it. Because Kory was tall. Lucky him. I was just short, little Tommy. Not as talented as Kory.

                “Oh Tommy, you’re jealous,” I mumbled and sighed, bouncing the basketball. I squeezed my eyes shut and took a deep breath to relax.

                I shouldn’t have hurt Kory today just because I was getting jealous of him. Hurting him wasn’t going to make Zeke love me. Plus, it wasn’t Kory’s fault Zeke was so in love with him. I wasn’t really a violent person. I needed to get a hold of myself already.

                I took another deep breath and opened my eyes, calmer now. I had to get a better hold on this stupid jealousy of mine.

                I tried to slam dunk again, failing epically yet again. I bounced the basketball absentmindedly before jumping up to try again, only to fall back down.

                “Tomcat, what are you doing?” dad asked curiously, watching me from the front door.

                “What does it look like I’m doing?” I mumbled, trying to calculate how to do this.

                “No offense Tomcat, but you’re not tall enough to slam dunk,” he said, stepping outside and coming over to me. He snatched the basketball from me and slam dunked.

                “Dammit dad! I hate tall people,” I whined, glaring up at him. I was the only short person in my entire family, besides my Uncle Danny.

                Dad chuckled. “Tommy, soccer’s your sport, not basketball. You’re my midget Tomcat,” he said and ruffled my hair before turning and heading back inside.

                I fixed my hair and glared at the stupid basketball hoop. I really hoped Zeke wasn’t into taller guys. Him and Kory were about the same height, so that wasn’t really an indication. What if a shorter, younger guy was creeping him out? Aw damn. Stop thinking Tommy. You know it hurts your brain.

                “Need some help reaching the rim Tom?”

                I sighed and turned to calmly face Davey and Juliet. “Davey, you don’t call me Tom. I don’t like to be called Tom. You know that,” I said flatly. My mom and dad were the only people that could call me something other than Tommy without me getting mad.

                Davey grinned. “Sorry Tom,” he said with a shrug.

                “What do you want?” I asked, eyeing him and Juliet carefully. Why were they at my house? I was trying to stay calm, but it was hard.

                “I was just up talking to Zeke. I heard what he said to you, and just want to make sure you’re okay. He didn’t have the right to say those things to you,” he said with a frown.

                I stared at him in complete confusion. Was he…was he sticking up for me? When my own boyfriend was saying I shouldn’t make the team?