Rebound, But Newfound {12}

“Hey Zeke.”

                I jumped and glared at Davey as he and Greg walked towards me. “I’m not in the mood Davey,” I growled dangerously.

                He chuckled. “Yea, I wouldn’t be either if I had just snapped Tommy’s ankle,” he said, smirking at me. I glared harder.

                “I didn’t mean to hurt him! We were both playing dirty!” I snapped, clenching my fists tightly. As if the guilt wasn’t killing me enough already. I hadn’t heard from Tommy, and it had been four hours since I had left his house.

                Why hadn’t Tommy just told me he was hurt? Instead that idiot decided to keep walking around and shooting with a hurt ankle.

                “How did you know about Tommy anyways?” I demanded.

                Davey’s smirk grew, and a smirk appeared on Greg’s face as well. “We were just talking to Mikey. Tommy got home about a half hour ago. What? The little faggot didn’t call you?”

                “He’s home? What did Mikey say about him?” I asked, my heart slamming. Was his ankle broken? His wrist?

                Davey snickered. “That’s for us to know. I guess Tommy didn’t want to tell you. Must be pretty bad. You know, Tommy was telling Juliet how mad at you he was. Saying you were just playing him to make Kory jealous.”

                I shoved by Davey. “I’m going to his house. I’m not believing your lies Davey. Tommy wouldn’t say that because he knows it’s not true!” I snapped.

                Davey laughed. “Is it a lie, Zeke? It made sense to me when Juliet told me. And it does seem to be true. You never take your eyes off of Kory when you’re around him, even when Tommy’s there. It’s not hard to tell, and Tommy’s not stupid,” he said simply.

                Not having a reply for that, I just hurried away, wanting to get to Tommy’s house and check on him. But Davey had my mind wandering now.

                Would Tommy say that? It wasn’t true, but what if Juliet and Davey had gotten to him and made him think that it was? Davey knew that Tommy was vulnerable when his emotions weren’t under control. Davey would feed him small lies that would fuel dangerous thoughts.

                Had Davey and Juliet gotten to Tommy before I had after we fought? Surely Tommy would’ve told me…right?

                I shook it out of my head as I reached Tommy’s house. I rang the doorbell and waited anxiously until Sammy opened the door.

                He bit his lip nervously. “Hey Zeke. You here to see Tommy?” he asked. I nodded and Sammy let me into the house. I took my shoes off and glanced at Sammy in fear.

                “How bad is he Sammy?” I asked quietly.

                Sammy shifted uncomfortably. “Just…come on. Come see him. He’s in a fight with our dad right now, but maybe you can calm him down.”

                He led me up to Tommy’s room. I could hear yelling coming from inside. Sammy opened the door and I watched as Tommy, lying in his bed, glared at Brady.

                “I’m trying out!” Tommy snapped furiously.

                “Tommy, you’re going to rest until you’re ankle’s better, and that’s that,” Brady said flatly. “And if you want to keep arguing with me, I will call your coach and tell him that you are not to try out.”