Rebound, But Newfound {18}

Zeke rang the doorbell and we waited. The door opened and Coach glanced at us. He smiled widely and let us into his house.

                “Thank god I get some help around here!” he said, leading us to the kitchen.

                The smell of pasta and meatballs was potent and Zeke and I grinned. Coach and his wife made the best food. His wife, Lali, was currently at work making meatballs. She smiled at us warmly and we waved at her.

                I staggered a bit and Zeke’s hand shot out to catch me before I fell. He gave me a worried look and wrapped an arm around my waist to hold me steady.

                Lali opened her mouth to ask me if I was alright, but I shot a pleading look at her. She got the message that I didn’t want Coach to know, and nervously turned back to the meatballs.

                Coach spun around and smiled. He gave us a curious look, eyeing Zeke’s arm wrapped protectively around my waist.

                “Boyfriends,” we said at the same time.

                Coach raised an eyebrow. “Wow. I had no idea you boys were gay. Not that that’s a problem!” he said and laughed nervously.

                We both shrugged and gave him easy grins. “Just don’t be surprised. Trace is gay, and his boyfriend will probably try out,” Zeke explained. I kept my expression the same, though that jealousy stabbed at me.

                Coach let out a whistle. “Wow. So this is what happens while I’m away? Hope none of the other bastards have been giving any of you trouble,” he said with a deep frown.

                “Davey,” Zeke growled and I elbowed him, shooting him a look.

                “No. Davey’s not a problem. Now give us the silverware and we’ll set up the table,” I growled in annoyance.

                “I’ll have a talk with everyone tonight. You know where the silverware is,” Coach said with a wink.

                Zeke helped me over to the silverware. I tried to walk casually, but a slight limp still took hold of me and I just prayed that Coach wouldn’t notice it.

                Luckily, he didn’t. Zeke and I talked to him for a while as we helped him prepare the food and set up the large table for the rest of the team.

                One by one, the team members began to show up and sit down, talking eagerly about how excited they were for the season. Zeke and I stayed together, talking with some of the players.

                “Hey little brother,” Sammy greeted.

                “You’re still standing. Zeke didn’t completely tear your ass apart,” Mikey said with a grin.

                “Mikey, everyone knows who’s the bitch in this relationship,” I said simply. Zeke blushed and punched me playfully as the others laughed at him.

                I stiffened a little as I watched Trace walk in, guiding Kory. They went over to Coach and Trace introduced Kory. I instantly grabbed Zeke’s hand. He smiled at me, leaning over and kissing me lovingly.

                Kory and Trace came over to us. Zeke squeezed my hand and I kept my usual expression as I nodded my greeting at them.