Rebound, But Newfound {22}

Tommy got in the car, shutting the door and leaving us trapped in a tense silence. I pulled out of the driveway and began towards the location Trace had directed me to.

                “Where are we going?” Tommy demanded.

                “I can’t tell you that,” I said, wishing that I knew where the hell we were going. I swear if Trace fucked me over, I was going to rip off his right testicle.

                “You don’t even know. I can tell,” he grumbled, turning to glare out of the window.

                “And you don’t even know if you’re really gay. So if I were you, I’d shut the fuck up,” I shot and slapped a hand over my mouth, my eyes widening a little. Aw shit.

                “I thought I heard you and Trace. When you’re spying, it helps to keep your voice down,” Tommy said sarcastically.

                “When you’re gay, it helps not to kiss girls. How did you like Trace’s aftertaste, by the way?”

                “Why don’t you kiss Trace and ask him how he likes mine?”

                “Because when I love someone, I don’t go sucking faces with someone else.”

                “We sucked faces, and more, when you loved Kory.”

                I winced, realizing that we were just getting angrier at each other. This wasn’t going over well, and it was only the car ride. Great. So much for winning Tommy back. All I was doing was trying to insult him because I was hurt by what he’d done. When, in reality, I had done nearly the same thing.

                “Tommy, I don’t want to fight,” I said quietly. “Please.”

                “Whatever,” he mumbled, crossing his arms and glaring out of the window again. His eyes caught and reflected the fading light in the sky. I bit my lip, missing looking into those eyes before going in for a kiss from him. His thin, soft lips pressing against mine. His cool, smooth skin.

                I shook those thoughts out of my head as I pulled into the driveway of an old, abandoned office. I stared at it, hoping Trace was ripped apart piece by agonizing piece by a fucking bunny. An abandoned office? Really?

                I got out of the car and my phone buzzed. I grabbed it and opened the message.

                From: Trace

                Go inside and to the right. There’s a set of stairs. Go to the top floor and out of the door directly in front of the stairs. You can thank me later.

                I rolled my eyes as I shoved my phone into my pocket. I turned to Tommy and held my hand out to him. He raised an eyebrow at it and I pulled it away in embarrassment. Habit.

                “Come on,” I mumbled and entered the building, now aware that Trace, and probably Phil, were watching from nearby.

                Tommy followed me to the right and up the stairs. We went up a few floors before the stairs finally ended. I took a deep breath and sent up a prayer to every religious figure that ever had been and ever would be that Trace helped instead of hurt this fragile situation.

                I pushed the door open and stepped out onto the roof of the building. My eyes widened a little at the sight.

                There was a table set up for the two of us. Food was covered by silver dishes, and a candle burned in the center of the table. A bottle of Vodka was sitting in a small bucket of ice.