Rebound, But Newfound {27}

“Why is the faggot here?” Davey demanded, glaring at Tommy.

                “Coach said Tommy could practice with us,” I said, glaring at Davey and stepping in front of Tommy protectively. “He’s not a faggot.”

                “He’s also not on our team. But fine. Coach would pick favorites with a poor faggot,” Davey said and snickered.

                Tommy sighed. “You’ll go for anything, won’t you? My parents’ income, my genetics, my sexuality…Do you have any actual reason to hate me, Davey?”

                “You’re gay. That’s just disturbing,” he growled.

                “Obviously you don’t own a mirror,” Tommy mumbled, taking my hand and pulling me away and over to Trace and Kory.

                “Tommy! Are you and your cool eyes practicing with us?” Kory asked in excitement.

                Tommy nodded, wrapping an arm around my waist. “Yea, I am. And seriously Kory; I have this fear that you’re going to jump me and rip out my eyes. They’re really not that amazing.”

                “Tommy, how many people do you know that have golden-purple eyes?” Trace asked, raising an eyebrow. “I have to admit, you do have some really cool eyes.”

                “And they’re mine, because Tommy’s mine. So hands off my man Kory!” I said and stuck my tongue out, wrapping my arms around Tommy and kissing his cheek.

                Tommy nodded. “Zeke’s right. They’re his,” he said with a slight grin at me.

                Coach blew his whistle and we all gathered around for warms up and a jog. We got to doing some drills together, Tommy and I partnering up.

                “Okay, we’re going to do a shooting drill. I want Davey and Phil to defend, and Trace, get your ass in that goal,” Coach said, pointing.

                Trace, Davey, and Phil got in their positions while we formed three lines. I made sure I was near Tommy so that I could partner with him.

                When it finally got to me and Tommy, we were partnered up with another kid named Chris. We started off, Chris passing to Tommy and me sprinting forward towards the 18 yard box.

                I stopped when I reached it and prepared myself for the pass Tommy would send me. He dribbled up towards Davey, waiting for Davey to commit so that he could pass it.

                Davey committed and Tommy moved to shoot the ball up. Davey slammed into him, catching Tommy’s chest with his shoulder and thrusting his elbow into Tommy’s stomach painfully.

                Tommy flew to the ground, landing on his back and clutching his stomach. My eyes widened and I hurried over to him.

                Coach hurried over as well. We knelt next to Tommy as he choked for air, clutching his stomach with his eyes squeezed shut.

                “Easy Tommy,” Coach said, gently rolling Tommy onto his side.

                Tommy coughed and managed to wheeze in air. “I’m…fine…” he managed before going into another coughing fit. “Fine,” he repeated shakily.

                I put my hands under his armpits and lifted him to his feet. I released him slowly, making sure he wouldn’t fall over.