Rebound, But Newfound {29}

“Tommy!” Sally, Brady, and I cried.

                His parents rushed over as I dropped next to him. Coach’s eyes widened and he also hurried over, along with Tommy’s brothers.

                “All of you, back off. Give him some room,” Coach snapped. He turned to me. “Zeke, he’s probably overheated. Get him water and pour it on him!”

                “Shouldn’t we get his shirt off?” Sammy asked, panic clear in his eyes.

                Coach shook his head as I handed him a full water bottle. “No. His shirt will hold the water,” he explained as he poured it on Tommy.

                Tommy whimpered and I took his hand in mine. “Tommy, you’re okay,” I assured gently. He weakly squeezed my hand and cracked his eyes open a little.

                “Get him to drink some water,” Coach said, handing me a water bottle and moving to get ice.

                I uncapped the water bottle and pulled Tommy into my arms, not even caring that I was getting wet from his shirt. I held the water bottle to his lips and gently tipped it into his mouth. Tommy drank thirstily and I pulled the water away so that he wouldn’t make himself sick.

                Coach handed me a bag of ice and put it on Tommy’s neck. He leaned against me weakly, closing his eyes again and panting more.

                “Thomas James! You are giving me gray hairs! When you feel sick, you get off that damn field!” Sally snapped, relief and annoyance on her face.

                “Mom,” Tommy said, his voice weak, “Shut up.”

                “I should’ve had a daughter,” Sally said miserably.

                “I’m gay. That’s the closest you’re getting to a daughter from me,” Tommy mumbled.

                “Tom, have you had anything to drink today?” Coach asked.

                Tommy shook his head slowly. “Nope,” he said, his eyes still shut.

                “Anything to eat?”

                “Nope.”

                “You’re an idiot,” Coach, Sally, Brady, Sammy, Mikey, and I said at the same time.

                “I love all of you too.”

                I slung Tommy’s arm around my shoulders and wrapped an arm around his waist before slowly getting to my feet with him. He slumped against my body and groaned lightly.

                “Zeke?”

                I looked up and sighed. “Hi mom. Hi dad. Uh…I can’t really talk right now.” I nodded at Tommy. “Hot boyfriend in my arms.”

                I blushed, realizing what I had just said. Tommy laughed weakly and I pouted. “Shut up before I drop you,” I hissed in his ear. I turned to my confused parents and gave them an innocent smile. “I meant overheated. Not hot. Tommy’s not hot. Just overheated. Too much heat. Yep.” I snapped my mouth shut, resisting the urge to drop Tommy as he laughed again.

                He started coughing and I shifted him slightly. He groaned again and let his head drop onto my shoulder. He began to pant again.