9. Dares and Kisses

Toni's parents' house was huge, all lit up, and crowded. Gale hesitated at the door for a moment, and Scott barreled past him, Trevor after him. Gale was thrown out of balance, almost crashing to the ground, but someone caught him from behind. He looked back to see Matt holding his shoulder, keeping him in balance.

He looked up to say thanks, but Matt had a silly little smile playing on his lips, and it threw him off a while.

It was easy pretending to hate him, but now that he couldn't anymore, everything else was going to be hard.

Matt frowned and retracted his hand, chuckling a little at Gale's blank look. "Bro? You okay?"

Gale mentally pulled himself together.

Impossible, he thought.

"Yeah," he said. "Thanks."

They walked into the house, and Matt stopped just inside, checking his phone. His eyebrows bunched up in a frown. He looked up at Gale and sighed. "Sad Em couldn't make it."

She was texting him?

"She is texting you?" Gale asked, and hoped that the possessiveness didn't trickle through his voice. And the drip of envy.

He couldn't even get himself, he was at crossroads with his own feelings.

He got jealous at the close relationship Emily now had with Matt, and he hated how she now related with Matt more. On the other side, he also felt possessiveness when it came to Matt paying attention to Emily.

Too much attention.

"Yes," Matt answered, pocketing his phone. "Will we party or what?" He asked, his easy grin slipping back onto his face.

Gale could swear the guy was always smiling, he even had laugh lines at the corners of his lips. He turned his attention to the crowded rowdy room and shutting down his thoughts, yelled, "Hell yeah!"

They made their way through the large living room that was already full of teenagers dancing to loud hip hop music and went straight to the kitchen. Three other teammates were there, passing drinks and discussing the game. Evan, Kellan and Jude. Evan was the goalkeeper and one of Gale's best friends. He was Matt's height, easy on the eyes in a very attractive way, his dark hair somehow complementing his baby blue eyes. He noticed Gale immediately, high fived him, then thrust a can of beer at Matt.

"Welcome to the fold, man. First day and already stealing the show."

Matt took the can. "Thanks. I was nervous as hell. It's not easy filling Scott's shoes."

"I should know," Kellan put in. "The guy has benched me every single match."

Gale grabbed a can of beer too, and settled beside Evan. He was going to relax and enjoy the guys' company, but that was cut short when Toni beelined into the room.

He had always been okay with her, but not anymore.

The girl wouldn't leave Matt alone.

Gale hated that, and he hated how her face lit up in a smile when her eyes fell on Matt.

She grabbed Matt's arm, pulling him away from the others. Matt looked surprised at the sudden interruption, but Gale watched with a little revulsion as the guy eased into a smile seconds later as if it was all fine.

It wasn't.

"Kept me waiting long enough," she said, all flirty, her lashes fluttering all over the place. She twisted her arm around his, turned him round, and led him out of the room.