Chapter 10

Beep Beep Beep
I was brought back to reality by the continuous ringing of my phone. I wiped my tears and attended the call. My mother was not so happy and was screaming on the other end.
I got up and went to the washroom to set my makeup. Luckily, I didn't had much on so it didn't require much of the effort.
I went straight to the hall. Just as I got there, everyone was quite worried.
I didn't know how to answer their questions so I remained silent, giving rise to their doubts. I ignored their looks and went ahead. Fatima helped me to the stage. I was one hour late and everyone's stare quite reminded me about it. I couldn't utter any words as I was still traumatized by the previous event. I just couldn't erase those moments from my mind. I felt like my eyes were getting watery again, I exhaled deeply and tried to calm myself. Everyone around me thought that I was being nervous so they didn't questioned me about my delay.
As I sat down, I looked down at my henna on the hands. I was not ready to smile or meet anyone. I wanted to be alone, away from all these people. At this very moment, I felt like running away. I wanted to run till I can. I don't want anyone near me. I didn't want to even married, I suddenly felt like I've become impure. I don't deserve anyone, I don't deserve any happiness. I regret agreeing to this proposal. Have I not agreed to this proposal, this wouldn't happen to me.
Today, I saw the hideous part of this world. How people change, how they get selfish and would do anything to get what they want.
Even though, I wasn't raped but I was really close to getting raped. If I had not slapped him, he might have—
The tears starts to rolled down my cheeks. I couldn't control it anymore. Amna put her hand on mine and tried to console me. All my cousin gather around me and each one of them tried to calm me down.
I got the idea, they all thought I was emotional about leaving my family, house etc. but no one had a clue about what I'm actually going through. No one would understand the state I'm in.
After couple of minutes, they succeeded in calming me down. I drank some water while Amna wiped my tears.
***************************
As I sat in the car, my mom bombarded me with questions about my delay. She complained about how irresponsible I am and how worried she is about what people would make out it. I remained silent and listened to her the whole time.My dad finally told her to let it go and that there might be some reason. I looked out of the window and slowly closed my eyes. I didn't want to think anything more. I want to go to sleep. The headache has been killing me this whole time.
Tomorrow will mark a new beginning for me. I just wish that I can forget this traumatizing night.