Chapter 11

As I was siting in the bridal room, waiting to sign my fate on the piece paper which will be brought in anytime soon. To say I'm nervous would be an understatement. You could say I'm having panic attacks but I've tried to calm myself since there is no one with me. I was alone with Fatima and Amna but they too have left me alone twenty minutes ago.
I would go crazy if I stay a minute alone so I searched for my phone in my clutch and started dialing Amna's number. After a long wait, she finally picked up and without me saying anything, she told that she is coming.
**************************
After good fifteen minutes, Amna cautiously entered the room. Her expressions showed that she was somewhat worried about something. She sat beside me and placed her hand on my shoulder.
"Look Alizeh, what I'm going to tell you right now, you've to listen to me carefully." She started her sentence "promise me you won't react."
I nodded to assure her
"Zubair's parent called hour ago." She paused for a minute before continuing " They first said that they would be late but later they confessed.." She stopped and looked at me. I gave her a confusing look, not understanding a word she is saying. I nodded my head to give her the sign to continue
"They called to inform that zubair has eloped."
At first, I couldn't make what she was saying and when I understood, I couldn't believe it. It felt like as if the world is slipping under my feet. I didn't know how to react or what to say. What do you expect to do when you get to know your groom has ran away.
"Where's mama?" I finally spoke as I knew this all would affect her the most since she is a heart patient and she can't bear such shock.
"She fainted but she is okay now." Amna quickly answered. I didn't know what to say to her, I can't go out as I'm not ready to face the humiliation.
I don't know why wasn't I crying, if it would've been some other girl in my place, she would be so devastated. I looked at my henna, everything was perfect. Things were going just fine then why did this has happen.
"They've sent me to tell you that your dad have said that marriage will still happen."
I looked at her confused " did they find him?" I inquired.
She shook her head and open her mouth to say when my aunt came in. She was somewhat relaxed than Amna.
"Alizeh beta, be prepared. Molvi sahab will be coming to take your signs on the nikkah-nama." She said with calmness.
I didn't question her nor did she tell me anything.
Within next five minutes I see all my aunts and cousins around me. Before I could ask any of them any questions, my dad entered with the molvi.
I looked around in confusion. Few minutes before they told me the groom has eloped and now they are saying I'm still getting married.
I looked at my dad but his eyes were at the molvi, who took a seat across me.
I looked down in respect and waited for him. Five minutes later I got another shock when the molvi sahab said Shahveer's name "Shahveer Ahmed Son of Ahmed imtiaz." A shiver ran down my spine, these were not common names.
I felt like the world collapsing around me. I looked up at my father who gave me a reassuring nod. His eyes were pleading me to accept this marriage as it was in my fate. Tears rolled down my eyes as I sign the nikkah papers.
Everyone around me were relaxed and happy except me. The person who tried to ruin my life, my reputation, my respect is my husband now. The same person who could've done anything to stop my marriage is married to me. I didn't understand why my parents forced me into this marriage. If Zubair ran away, what was my fault? What was my crime that I'm being punished for it.
Why is Allah being unfair to me? What crime did I do that I've to get married to a person like Shahveer? Why is my Allah testing me like this?
I've bear all the troubles and never once complained about them but this is too much. I can't accept him as my Fate.
Only if I've told my parents about that night, they wouldn't let me get married to him.
I sobbed like a helpless prisoner, who is being forced into jail for the crime he didn't commit.
I felt like someone hugging me while someone else was rubbing their hand on my back.
"Everything will be alright, shh" I heard Fatima speak. She doesn't know that nothing will be alright. I'm trapped into a marriage with a person whom I despise.
"Alizeh Yaar, stop crying. Maybe it was for the best." Amna continued.