Chapter - 4

Tony's POV:

I was carrying Clara inside my apartment in New York which I shared with Pepper.

"Pepper!" I called her to meet Clara.

She ran out from the kitchen to meet us. As soon as she saw us, she gave us a big goofy smile which I never saw before.

I put Clara down from my arms and she looked at Pepper with wide eyes.

Yes, that beautiful woman is my girlfriend.

Pepper kneel down to match her height and she gave Clara a warm smile.

"Hello, Clara. I'm Pepper, Tony's girlfriend. It's very nice to meet you." She greeted her.

Clara returned a big smile as she is warming up to her.

"You are so cute, babygirl." She pinch her red cheeks.

**************

After we put Clara to bed, we sat on our bed chatting.

Tonight, I have realised how lucky I am to have Pepper with me.

After I left for Barton's home, she went shopping for Clara. She bought her clothes, shoes,toys, etc. She also prepared a room for Clara.

"So, how's your meeting with the Captain?" She asked. She was very worried.

"It went pretty well. I think we're good now." I shrugged.

"What a relief!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah. Today, I have discovered something. It's very amusing. World shattering." I announced enthusiastically.

"Go on." She looks at me, waiting to hear me out.

"Romanoff has a crush on Cap." I burst out laughing.

"No way!" She looked at me with wide eyes.

"I'm serious!" I protested.

"Really? Our Natalie has a crush?" She asked.

"First of all, she is Natasha. Second of all, you put her like some innocent teenager having a crush which she isn't." I stated.

"Hm... Come to think of it, it's not that surprising as long as the man she's crushing on is Captain Rogers." She dreamily mumbled.

Yeah, with those abs and all, he might be hard to resist. But having heard Pepper said those words, I felt a pang of jealousy.

And the way she said it.....like REALLY? Is she trying to make me mad? She was practically drooling over him.

"And she might not be the only woman who has a crush on him." I sarcastically commented on her statement.

She looked at me with amusement in her eyes.

"Oh, Tony, I don't mean it that way. I just say that they would make a great pair and Natasha is not choosing wrong." She defended herself.

And I bought it. Yes, I was overreacting a little bit.

"Great pair, huh?" I raised my eyebrows as I know that they are the exact opposites.

"What? You don't think so?" She asked.

"Nah, I'm just thinking that their lifestyles didn't match. I mean, Cap is practically a virgin." I shrugged my shoulders.

Pepper burst out laughing and gave me the 'Are you serious?' look, waiting eagerly for my answer.

"Yes, I'm serious. He confessed himself when we, the guys, had a "boy's talk" last year. He also said that he had kissed two women. And he only kissed each of them once!" I said disbelievingly.

She gave me an amusing smile.

"And guess what the time span between the two kisses are?" I asked.

"Um, I don't know how to guess."

"Seventy whole years!" I exclaimed.

"Oh my God." She shook her head disbelievingly.

"I know, right?" I stated.

We keep quiet for a while and just stare at the ceiling while laying on the bed.

"I still ship them though." She spoke up, breaking the silence.

"Same here, but I am still making fun of them. I am enjoying this very much." I claimed.

**************

I woke up to the sound of giggling which shocked me. Then I walked towards the kitchen where that sound came from.

Then I noticed Clara smiling widely as she listened to Pepper's words as she sat on the chair watching Pepper intently. She seems very calm and happy with Pepper.

Pepper noticed me and shoot me a smile. She talks to Clara again, watching her with love and care.

Then I joined them and give a peck to Pepper at the lips. Clara rolled her eyes as I smiled at her.

"Hey, kid. Did you sleep well last night?" I asked her casually as I pat her hair.

"Yeah." She replied with a small smile on her face.

"What's so funny that the two of you are laughing so early?"

"It's a secret." She gave me a big toothy grin. Gosh, she looks so cute, her bunny tooth not really helping.

Pepper seems happier than usual. She is filled with joy. I think it has something to do with Clara.

************

After we finished our breakfast, Pepper needs to go to work. She was so hesitant to leave Clara and Clara seems to be a little down too.

"Okay, I will be home at about 7 in the evening. I'm going to miss you." Pepper kneeled down before Clara kissing her cheeks.

"Bye. Don't worry, uncle Tony is here to babysit." I told her to which she just rolls her eyes at me.

"Take care of her." Pepper whispered in my ears and gave me a peck on the lips.

I smiled at her as I watched her leaving our home.

Then, I turned around to see Clara looking very quiet and down.

This is going to be a long day.

************

As I don't trust anybody enough, I take Clara to my lab. She is watching me intently from time to time and when I turned to look at her, she looks in the other direction.

Okay, I feel like I need to start a conversation.

"So, it's gonna be just you and me today,eh?" I asked trying to enlighten the mood.

She shoots me a smile and just nodded. Nice try, Tony.

At least she seems to be comfortable about being around with me.

After a minute or two of silence, I try again.

"So, what were Pepper and you talked about in the morning?" I asked trying to sound nice.

"Girl stuff." She grins as she looks in my direction.

Even I can't deny it. She is so cute. I want to pinch those pink cheeks.

As I thought of it, she recovers very fast. When I first saw her, she was very pale. But now, she seems like the healthiest kid in the world.

And only a day had passed after I take her here. How odd. Fury was right, she sure is different.

I want to figure her out.

Who is she really? Where did she come from? Where are her parents?

But as much as I want to know those things, I still need to remember that she is only a child. And she needs time. To trust me.