Chapter 10

The next morning I woke up in the late afternoon, obviously starvation was taking its good sweet time in making me suffer. I used what was left of my strength to crawl out of bed. The covers were too heavy to lift so I ended up wiggly myself onto the floor and used the frame to lift myself into a standing position. Once I reached the door I slowly opened it and straitened myself up so I at least looked respectable, which by the way is hard to do when you haven’t had a shower or a hot meal in days. I looked both ways like I was crossing the street. When I noticed no one was there I slowly walked down the hallway, struggling to keep my pants up since they were noticeably pulling away from my sides. When I reached the staircase it seemed endless, and it took even longer to walk down to the bottom because halfway through my stomach decided to cave in on itself and give me immense pain. Cursing the very ground Archer walked on I made it to the bottom and waited for any noise from anyone I didn’t want to run into. I slowly walked towards the door and tried to pry open the heavy wood but couldn’t. I noticed a window nearby and tried to open it instead, it opened as easily as I could lift the covers off myself. Trying to crawl out of it was torture but once I hit the ground I felt almost free again. As I lay on the dry green grass I breathed in the luscious smell of the sweet air and stared at the blue sky that didn’t seem to have one cloud flouting around in it. I could feel my stomach lurch again with hunger, I squeezed my fist into the grass and brought it up to my mouth. Eating the grass was better than I thought it would be because of how fresh it tasted. After feeling my strength return I sat up and started walking towards the gate, taking a different approach then my last escape. I thought I was going to faint as I approached it because of the blazing sun and how tall the gate was. Even if it was physically possible to climb the gate by myself the metal was burning to the touch, when I pulled my hand back you could see the red mark it left.

I was about to give up when I heard a car pulling up. I hide behind one of the posts that held the automatic car sensor, I knew this because no one had to open the gate or check who was in the car. Once the gate opened and the car drove through I slipped past it and was off their property for good.

Or at least, that’s what I hoped.