Chapter Two: The Ex

Sean rose promptly at 5am like he always did and threw himself into his morning workout routine.

100 push-ups, 50 pull-ups; he felt his body begin to warm up as he started bench-pressing his own weight of 245 lbs. before launching into a dozen or so spider crawl push-ups and explosive off the wall push-offs.

When he'd worked himself into a light lather, he went and took a shower, then got himself a cup of coffee, black. He mixed a power shake and fried himself up some pork chops and eggs for breakfast.

After he'd eaten, he stood in front of the floor-length mirror to dress. He wasn't going into the field that day so his outfit was simple enough; black slacks, boots, a crisp white button-up shirt, and his "bad cop" sunglasses.

Sean ran a light dosing of hair gel back through his black hair, spiking it up. He fastened his silver watch as he gazed into his own dark brown eyes.

He looked like hell, Sean thought with wry amusement. He hadn't slept well.

He knew he was going to see her today.

They hadn't seen each other in years; not since she'd left to go to college in Dallas. He had heard when she'd gotten back, of course, and opened Sunrose Creek Daycare. He'd even considered calling her home number to ask her to have dinner with him, but had ultimately decided against it.

Lucy Davenport didn't want to hear from him. If she did, she could have picked up the phone herself any old time. His number hadn't changed.

Sean checked the safety on his Glock 22 and holstered the weapon under his dark gray blazer. He swiped his keys off the dresser and then his wallet.

He adjusted the silver US Marshal badge on the inside of his jacket and pronounced himself ready.

###

"Alright then, who wants to help feed the chickens?!"

Lucy received an enthusiastic showing of little hands and she grinned down at her flock. She was so lucky.

"Okay, Amanda, honey, can you watch the babies while I'm gone?" She called to her big sister.

Amanda rolled her blue eyes. "That's kinda my job, sis. I'll be here."

"Right, sorry. Be back in a sec.

"Okay, everyone got their shoes and jackets on? It's still a little bit chilly out today. Can anybody tell me why?" Lucy asked as she helped the littler kids get ready.

"'Cause the sun warms the Earth and makes all da-all da dew grow away!" Hailey volunteered, her stubby little fingers shoved into her mouth. She was a vivacious redheaded girl, but she suffered stage fright easily.

"Very good, you're right, Hailey." Lucy beamed down at the little girl, who giggled with the praise. "As the day goes by and the sun rises in the sky, it slowly warms the Earth more and more. That's why the afternoon is the hottest part of the day." Lucy explained to her avid audience.

"Hey, you rhymed!" Travis pointed out. He always tried to get off topic. Lucy worried that he had ADD sometimes.

"Yes, I did, Travis. Now get your hat on, hurry up now. Everyone ready? Okay, now remember, we're not gonna chase and terrorize the chickens today, are we, Johnny? Travis? Ricardo, are you listening?"

She got a rollicking, "Yes, Miss Lucy!" and soon they were all traipsing across the dewy ground to the chicken coup.

Lucy tried her best to focus on each little task at hand, but her eyes kept drifting to the long driveway out front; keeping an eye out for a certain black Dodge truck.

~ ~ ~