Chapter Twenty-Eight: Wedding Season

They had to use the formal dining room to accommodate for all the extra guests.

Somehow, even with over thirty people in attendance, Lucy ended up sitting next to Sean.

Cassandra could be a real clever little witch sometimes, Lucy mused to herself as she sullenly ate her turnip mash.

Sean certainly didn't seem to mind the seating plan, however, and now and then he would even casually rest his hand on her thigh under the table.

Eventually it was time for speeches and Cassandra started things off by thanking everyone for coming.

Grandma Flora and Grandpa Leroy both gave brief speeches welcoming Carson officially to the family. Guy and Amanda also had a few things to say about family, and love, and the future, and whatnot.

Lucy grew increasingly nervous as it neared her turn. It seemed unfair that they had to do two sets of speeches; she was already nervous for the speech she was going to have to give at the actual wedding.

Finally it was her turn and she stood up and met Cassandra's deep blue eyes. Eyes that Lucy knew from the crib. She relaxed and smiled. Both of her beautiful big sisters reminded her so much of their late mother.

"I'm so proud of you, big sis, I always have been, you know that.

"Carson, I never thought any guy would be good enough for my sister, but you've really won us all over and we're so happy to have you as part of the family.

"Cassie, I just wish...I just wish Mom was here to see you on your wedding day, I know she'd be just as proud of you as I am. I'm sure she'll be watching from Heaven."

Lucy had tears in her eyes by the end, which was exactly what she'd been hoping to avoid.

Cassandra and Amanda's eyes were also glittering with unshed tears and Grandma Flora dabbed discreetly at her eyes beneath her glasses.

Lucy excused herself, clearing a few plates as she went into the kitchen to get an early jump on the dishes.

###

Guy joined her at the sink a few minutes later, rinsing his plate then reaching for the one she had just washed so that he could dry it with a dish towel.

She slanted a small smile at him. Her father was a swarthy man, where her mother had been fair. He had a kind sort of face, but he was built sturdy. Amanda took after him more than Lucy or Cassandra did.

"I'm okay, Papa." Lucy sighed, handing him another plate.

"Good, I'm glad, honey, but I sure wish you hadn't had to mention your ma back there. Really hurts Paula whenever you bring up how much you still wish Sunday was here, in her place. I know you girls all still miss her, it's only right, I still miss her, too, baby, believe me. But...Can't you understand how it must make my new wife feel? And she's been so looking forward to playing 'Mother of the Bride'."

Lucy dropped the plate she was washing into the sink without finishing and turned off the water abruptly.

She faced her father and she was shaking with her hurt and outrage. "I will talk about my mother whenever the hell I want." She said, very softly, then she brushed past her father without another word.

"Lucy..."

But Lucy had already grabbed her coat, stepped into her rain boots, and dashed out the back door.