Chapter Seventeen: Bareback

Lucy smiled before she even opened her eyes the next morning.

Sean was still lying atop her, still moving slowly within her as he kissed and nuzzled her neck.

She moaned and wrapped her arms and legs around him, giving herself over to him. She didn't seem to know how to do anything else.

"Good morning, beautiful." He chuckled in her ear, kissing her cheek now, then kissing her all over her face, making her wrinkle her nose and squirm beneath him.

"What're you doing, Sean?" She muttered, as he turned her face persistently to his so that he could kiss her mouth. "Stop, I need to brush my teeth! And so do you!"

He snickered unapologetically and went back to kissing her neck, then biting her.

They didn't speak again as they finished making love.

When they were done, he kissed her one last time then went into the bathroom to run the shower. She bit her lip, keeping her face buried in the pillow.

She really needed to stop letting him have sex unprotected with her.

###

"Please be safe today?" She asked him, her voice muffled in the front of his crisp white shirt.

He had waited to change into his actual field uniform until he got to the precinct. He knew how Lucy hated to see him in his riot gear; wearing a thick bulletproof vest and his thigh holster. It reminded her of all the ways he wasn't protected, could get hurt; could get taken away from her.

Sean understood, despite what Lucy so firmly believed, but it was still his job, his career, and the only thing he was truly good at. It was the only thing he was meant for.

Lucy helped him gather his things to pack up into his truck. The afterglow was beginning to wear off as it neared time for him to go.

Her grandparents were due back any minute now and she wanted Sean out of there before they arrived. Nevertheless, the sad truth of the matter was that she didn't know when he'd be coming back.

She had known better than to get tangled up with him again. Darn her stupid hormones, messing with her well-laid plans; screwing with her head.

Sean slammed the passenger side door of his truck shut, then turned to gaze down at her with a wry smile. "Cheer up, would you? You act like I'm going to be hanged or something, like you're never gonna see me again. You're freaking me out, woman." Despite his caustic words, he pulled her into the shelter of his arms for a tight hug goodbye.

"When will I see you again?" She asked him bleakly.

"I'll be back by next Sunday for Fenton's funeral."

"Oh, how romantic." She murmured before she could think better of it.

He sighed and the time had finally come when she had to let him go. "I would like to take you to dinner when I'm back from Tulsa. If that's acceptable to you, ma'am?"

Her lips twitched and he smiled, as well, gently lifting her face to his for one last kiss.

Then she had to watch her cowboy drive away.

~ ~ ~