Chapter Forty-Three: Twin Magic

The nurse on duty at the front desk was startled as she looked up to see a gaggle of women headed right for her.

Grandma Flora, Cassandra, Amanda, Paula, and Heather, as well as Martha, who was still in her wheelchair.

Cassandra and Amanda and Heather had left their children with Matt and Carson and Heather's husband, Roy, who had been planning on watching the football game but were now on babysitting duty and were probably playing Barbies with Kailee at this point.

"One very pregnant blonde to order." Flora announced teasingly as she pushed Lucy up to the front desk in her own respective wheelchair.

Lucy herself felt decidedly green in the face and as the contractions hit her, one after another, all she could find herself thinking about was how much she wished Sean was there holding her hand.

###

As Lucy got settled into the hospital bed, she suddenly reached out and clutched Amanda's arms. "Get Sean here now." She begged.

Her sister bit her lip as she gazed down at her. "Well, uhm, I'm glad you said that 'cause I already texted him and he's on his way."

Lucy relaxed and even let out a not so lucid chuckle. "You're a good big sis. Ugh, painkillers now, please!"

###

Lucy was far from lucid when Sean finally arrived at her bedside.

He took her hand tenderly in his and she turned her head on the pillow to smile dreamily up at him.

"Hey there, tiger." He said softly, drawing up a chair.

Her family had all respectfully given them some space as the doctor and nurses prepped. It was a crowded room and Heather, Paula, and Cassandra decided to wait out in the hall. Flora and Amanda remained close at hand, however, unwilling to leave their Lucy in case she might need them at any given moment.

In a way they felt they owed it to Sunday.

"Sean." Lucy whispered. "You came."

"Of course I came, silly woman." He murmured, leaning down to kiss her forehead. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

###

A few hours later, but what felt like lifetimes, Lucy and Sean were holding their newborn son and daughter in their arms for the very first time.

Lucy had never felt such love in her life and she had thought she had known what love was.

Sunny was wrapped up tight in a blue blanket, Rose in a pink one, and she and Sean traded them back and forth so that they both had equal time with each of them.

When Lucy looked up from her son's tiny sleeping face to watch Sean holding his infant daughter cradled in his arms, she was surprised to see tears silently running down his face.

They must have been tears of joy, though, because he was smiling.

He turned and looked at her. "I think I understand things now that I couldn't have ever possibly understood, before I held her."

Lucy smiled and nodded her silent understanding. She had tears of her own happiness streaming down her cheeks now.

"She has your eyes." He told her softly, coming closer to bend down and kiss her lips.