Professor Severeus Snape

I sat stiffly in the chair, aware of the gazes burning into me -- especially Harry's, who had chosen to sit next to me. He kept on shooting me glances that I knew he wanted me to see. He wanted to get my attention -- most likely to ask me questions. I was stubborn, though, and upset -- not to mention worried crazy. Knowing that they were somewhere unknown, potentially dead... And that I was sat here at some desk, completely useless. A wave of anger built up, frustration, guilt, and those emotions boiled inside of me. It boiled and burned, and it grew hotter and hotter, spreading through me like a wildfire. My fists clenched and my eyes burned-- my whole face burned. They were out there and need help-- need someone to rescue them, and I was here. Here doing nothing, here saying nothing, here--

My thoughts were interrupted by the classroom door banging open, slamming against the wall. Through it strode a pale man with longish stringy hair. He carried an air of confidence and disdain, a strange combination. His dark eyes seemed empty and cold, his lips in a downwards tilt.

"For those of you who do not know me," at this, he deliberately let his gaze fall on me. "I am Professor Severus Snape. You are only to call me Professor Snape, or "Sir." Anything else will be considered inappropriate and will result in either the deduction of house points or, detention. I am the potions master here at Hogwarts. There will be no wand-waving or enchantments cast in this room, you will be learning the under-appreciated, beautiful art of potions making. Any questions?" No one raised their hand. His voice was a continuous drawl, annoyingly monotonous. "Good." He strolled up to the blackboard, his cape billowing behind him. With his wand, he tapped the blackboard two times. Neat, cursive, chalk-written words appeared on the blackboard. I grumbled under my breath-- cursive was murder on my dyslexia.

"You will be making this potion on the board, follow the directions and you will not fail, failure to follow the directions will lead to unforeseen circumstances." He paused, his eyes sweeping around the room, lingering on mine. He sneered. "It's easy really." The Slytherins snickered. With that, everyone started, getting up to gather the ingredients. I, on the other hand, was stuck. I couldn't read a thing written on the board-- all of it was nonsensical. The letters were arranged in ways that made me doubt it was even English, to begin with. I raised my hand hesitantly. Snape didn't seem like the kind of Professor to help, but I wasn't going to judge him just yet. He strode over to the table I was sharing with Harry.

"Yes, Mr. Jackson? What could you possibly need, you haven't even started yet." He sneered and I wanted to scowl. Instead, I took a deep breath.

"Could you create a translation of the directions please?" His eyebrows rose in a manner that implied that he was unimpressed.

"And why is that? Do you feel the need to outshine the other students by completing the potion in another language?" His tone was disinterested, bored, and condescending. The heat rose in me again and I exhaled heavily to shove it back down. His attitude was appallingly infuriating, but I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of a response.

"No, sir. I have dyslexia and it is easier for me to read in Ancient Greek. Much easier." Snape's brows raised in clear disbelief.

"You have dyslexia yet you can read Ancient Greek? Do you think me a fool? You can't honestly expect me to believe that. You're going to have to come up with something better than that, Mr. Jackson."

"I'm telling the truth, Professor. You either make the translation, or the potion doesn't get done. I can't read the English version." He bristled and his calm demeanor cracked just the slightest.

"You better watch the manner in which you talk to me, Mr. Jackson, lest you get a detention. Very well, I will comply, but know this, I look forward to watching you fail." He raised his hand and with it, the sleeve of his cloak flourished. Swishing his wand at the board without looking, the Ancient Greek translation appeared underneath the English one. I rigidly stood up and got all the ingredients Harry had and sat back down along with a potions book. Snape waved his wand at the book and all the words turned to Ancient Greek. I was surprised at his show of kindness but didn't show it, I nodded gratefully at him, mentally cursing myself for making assumptions about his character. Every now and then I would look at the book to find out which ingredients were which, but mostly I was either staring at the board or brewing my potion.

Every so often, Snape would casually walk by, seeming not to even glance at my potion, but I could see him looking at it out of the corner of his eye. I couldn't tell from his expression whether I was doing it competently or not. However, since he sneered at Harry's potion and not mine --though he seemed to have equal hatred for both of us-- I took that as a good sign. Finally, as he passed by again, he stopped in front of me.

"Mr. Jackson, those aren't what the directions instruct. Even when translated you still fail to achieve some level of competence." He sneered and his lips tilted in satisfaction as the Slytherins howled with laughter.

"That may be so, Professor, but I hardly think that equates to lack of competence," I countered, not even looking up. I could feel his gaze on me sharpening, hardening into a glare. "Tell me, Professor, despite me not following directions, is my potion not successful so far?" I was bluffing, of course, hoping that I hadn't misinterpreted anything since I had no idea what I was doing. Yet somehow it came almost naturally. I felt as though my affinity with water has somehow intermingled with the magical aspect of me. Despite not knowing consciously what to do, if there's anything being a demigod has taught me, it's to trust my instincts.

"I will not tolerate arrogance and insubordination in my classroom, Mr. Jackson. Detention tonight and 5 points from Gryffindor." With that, he strode away, the snickers from Slytherin echoing once more. I was more troubled by the house points rather than the detention. Detention was something only I had to deal with, whereas house points affected the whole house. Nor was I worried about his insult-- I didn't even know what insubordination was. Yet as I casually looked at my house members, none of them were angry at me, in fact, their anger was directed towards Snape and the Slytherins.

I continued to brew my potion, Snape no longer walking by, though I could feel his gaze on me every now and then. Class neared an end and everyone was wrapping up their potions. Midway through the class, both Neville's and Seamus' potions had exploded and they had sat there throughout the rest of class covered in soot-- much to the amusement of the Slytherins. When class was over, only three people had completed their potions. Me, a pale blond-headed Slytherin, and a sharp-nosed red-headed Slytherin. Before we left, Snape made an announcement.

"Those of you who completed the potion, congratulations, though I am surprised a Gryffindor other than the ever-so-clever Miss Granger had enough brains to do so," he paused for the laughter from the opposing house. "Truly, an accomplishment. The rest of you have homework. 20 points to Slytherin. You are dismissed." I gathered all my belongings and paced out of there with calm long strides even though I wanted to leave as quickly as possible. A hand on my shoulder spun me around forcefully and I had to resist the urge to snap their wrist in half. My gaze level on Ron, whose hand was still on my shoulder.

"I'd really appreciate it if you'd move your hand." My voice was calm but my eyes held an edge of hostility. He removed his hand and I smiled. "Thank you. Now, did you want something, or did you just want to spin me into a tizzy?" Ron blushed.

"No- erm, we wanted to apologize for earlier. And our behavior since you've come." Hermione explained sheepishly. I nodded, smiling reassuringly. They did want to apologize, but not because they were genuinely ashamed of their behavior, but because they wanted to get closer to me and back into Harry's good gracious. But, I wouldn't let them know that I knew, because I could use this opportunity to get closer to them.

"That was amazing what you did back their, mate, showing Snape up like that. The bloody git deserved it. Though he didn't show it, it was clear he was embarrassed. Good job mate." Ron clapped me on the back, a smile on his face. Hermione nodded in agreement.

"Although I wouldn't say it how Ron did, it was brilliant, knocking him into place." I frowned in disagreement.

"He might not be the most pleasant teacher, but he knows what he's doing and everyone has a reason for the way they are. You can't judge them until you know why. He might be biased towards the Slytherins, and hateful towards the Gryffindors, but one isn't simply born that way, something happened in his past to make him this way. Don't be so quick to judge, guys." With that I turned, only to see Snape standing in front of me.

"Mr. Jackson, I came to remind you of detention. Also, I can fight my own battles." He turned to Ron and Hermione. "Granger, Weasley, if you have a problem with me, you address me. Otherwise, keep me out of your mouth." He turned swiftly and strode away, his robe billowing about behind him.