Christmas at Malfoy Manor

Draco PoV

My fingers played with the hem of my sleeve, listening to the sound of the train gliding on the railroad tracks. Percy sat across from me, fiddling away with a pen and gazing out the window with a faraway look in his eyes. This was it; in a few hours we would arrive at Platform 9 3/4 and be taken to Malfoy Manor for the entirety of the holiday break. Incredibly apprehensive of what's to come, I half wished Percy had declined the offer, the other half grateful I wouldn't be alone with my family. Hardly paying attention to me themselves, a lot has happened under their ignorant eyes. It was quite the spectacle, I mused, when the Pompous Three found out Percy would be spending Christmas at the Manor.

. .

Percy and I chatted casually, walking down the hall, me doing my best to ignore the glares of my fellow Slytherins. It was only now how much I realized that the Slytherins spent a concerning amount of time worrying about my life. The Hogwarts train was leaving in two hours and with my help, Percy was already packed and ready to go. Pounding footsteps echoed behind us and we turned to see Weasley, Granger, and Potter rushing towards us. I contemplated leaving at the mere sight of Potter, but I reminded myself that he was Jackson's friend too and as a courtesy to Percy, I needed to be respectful. But Merlin was it hard to tolerate Potter, much less all three of them.

"Percy! Hey, slow down mate!" Ron's words came out in a rushed swell of vocals, roughened by his bated breathing. Coming to a stop, we waited until they reached us, and despite me not doing anything, Potter still felt it necessary to send me a glare. Tempted to retaliate, I reigned in my annoyance and instead ignored him.

"Ron!" Percy smiled pleasantly, patiently waiting for them to catch their breath. A few short moments passed before they finally raised from their position of hands resting on knees.

"I talked to my mom and told her that you couldn't go home for Christmas —sorry about that by the way—, and she invited you to spend it with us." The Weasley smiled cheerily, clearly expecting Percy to see this as great news, which had he not already accepted my offer, it would have been. Jackson's eyes widened.

"Wow, thanks a lot Ron, but Draco already invited me to spend Christmas with his family and I said yes. I can't believe you thought of me, under other circumstances, I would definitely take you up on your offer. Thank you so much, and I wish I could come, but I'm spending Christmas with Elsa here." I didn't understand the reference, but if Hermione's surprised snort of amusement to go by, it was a joke. I frowned, smacking him lightly on the arm, muttering a quite 'Hey!' In response, he smirked and shrugged, as if to say 'You can't deny it.'

"Oh, erm— yeah, of course... right. No problem, I—" Potter interrupted, aghast.

"Wait, you actually said yes? You do know you agreed to go to Malfoy Manor right? With Draco Malfoy?" I bristled and Percy tensed.

"Yes, is there something wrong with that?" Percy questioned quietly.

"He's Draco Malfoy! You can't trust him! Who knows what he'll do to you once he's trapped you at that dreadful place!" My wand slipped out of my robe, poised carefully,

"I'd choose your next words carefully, Potter." I hissed. He sneered in response.

"I don't know what you think you know about Draco, but I can trust him, and I do. Whatever issues you have with him, I suggest you resolve them because I'm not going to stop being friends with him just because you don't like him. I know he's Draco Malfoy just as well as I know I'm Percy Jackson, and there isn't anything you can do or say that will dissuade me from being friends with him merely because of who he is or what everyone thinks of him." For purely one second, I felt I could confess to Percy of who I was, who I am forced to be, but it was only for a second before reality caught up to me. Potter's eyes narrowed, as if coming to a dreadful realization that he hoped dearly wasn't true.